Chiari Malformation Community
Home Remedies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Home Remedies?

Ok I have come up with what I call a “Home Remedy” for dealing with vertigo.

I sit with one finger held in front of my face, out maybe 10 inches or so. I concentrate on this finger for a short time and it helps to stop the room from spinning…..until I move my head again but it helps.

Any other ideas or “Home Remedies” to help us cope with the many symptoms of our illness?

ROD
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological-Disorders/Anti-inflammatory-Foods/show/1023?cid=186

Here is a link to a new Health Page that shows how our food can help/hinder with the inflamation (inflammation).
Thanks Selma,
there are some things that we can do to ease our symptoms,  they may be little things that work for you but not for me and vise versa, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

diet is a very important part of treatment. I  find when using hot water I am prone to getting burned if the water is to hot, I cant tell the difference, I feel hot and cold but not to the degree I used to. Then there are the head aches, how do people cope with these aside from the meds. I know that inflammation causes some of the nerve issues so I am grateful to you for this  link
Thanks again,
ROD
lie across your bed with your head over the edge, but your neck resting on the edge of the bed.  (if it's really bad, have someone hold/turn your head for you) apply very gentle, lifting pressure to either side of your head, while keeping your head straight. hold for 20 seconds, then relax for 10 seconds.  repeat 4 times.  next, SLOWLY turn your head to the right while applying the same gentle pressure.  same time frame and reps.  return to original positon and repeat.  next, SLOWLY turn you head to left and repeat the process.  finally, return to the original position and hold again for 2 - 3 minutes.  get up very slowly, you are done.  
when i had vertigo a few years back, i went to a pt that specialized in vertigo.  after 3 or 4 treatments, it was gone!  like magic!  hope this helps some of you!
Thanks Elizabeth, be careful if you have neck issues or a Syrinx.

Will give it a try tonight but I have to be careful due to fears about increasing the size of the syrinx.
ROD
maybe annie can hold your neck for you.  it's much easier and effective if someone else helps you!  just go very very slow and gentle.  when the pt did it to me, i could barely tell she was turning my neck because she did it so slowly!  hope it works and doesn't make you worse!   ;  (  that would be very bad.....i might even have to go into hiding for a while!
Are you joking me Anne is looking for an excuse to choke me.
A home remidy for a CSF leak is to lie flat.....caffine and plenty of H20 can help the leak mend on it 's own.

Thanks Selma, god is there any ent to the list of semptoms.
rod
well, ray, i'm sure there must be a reason.  i mean you are a man and all...so obviously you have done something wrong.   so, own up to it and admit you were wrong.  then she'll love you again and want to do things to help you!  lol!  ; )
Are you mad she is a sumo wrestler kickboxing female Rambo….she it the best though, she told me to say tha lol!!!

I went to a chiropractor years ago, wonder could this have caused some damage to my neck, it was a lower back issue at the time but he did some manipulation of my neck as well. The ENT said that physiotherapy would/could help with the vertigo, this makes me think your suggestion about the bed thing could be very beneficial, the ENT wants me to see the NS first though because of the syrinx.  
i like your lady already!  great humor!  i don't know enough about the syrinx business yet...but i don't see how it could hurt if you go real slow and gentle like the pt did with me.  and it really did the trick for me.  i hope it works for you to and that your pcp says it won't hurt you to try.  this is the only thing that has helped me in the past!  let me know what your dr. says!
My PCP said to hold off until the NS sees me, the concern is that it may make any obstruction worse.

I like her as well, feel safe and secure lol!!

can it really do that!?  do you know how that works?
Hi Elizabeth,
I don’t know why but I have neck issues after a car crash so that may have some baring on things but she (my GP) said that in the interest of safety to wait until the NS decides.
ROD
I was also told not manipulation of the neck!!!...no massages either.

Oh and BTW ROD....I just remembered after looking at another thread, but u can take dramamine for the vertigo...just be sure to get the nondrowsey formula.
Hi Selma I checked out Dramamine aka as meclizine (Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula) and it is available OTC here so I will give it a try…thanks.
Ray

I want to add your remedy for HA here to.

Hi..try relaxing in a darkened room with music and candles.....
Curtsey  of  selmaS
For mussel cramps

Epsom salts. Add a small amount of Epsom salts to your bath…..the magnesium in the Epsom salts promotes muscle relaxation.

A hot towel on the cramping mussel will help to relax the cramp and increase blood flow to the affected tissue.

Tonic water….tonic water contains quinine with helps with cramps