Chiari Malformation Community
How Many have had MENINGITIS ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

How Many have had MENINGITIS ???

This poll is posted for Elizabeth

after reading colleens post, it occured to me that i have heard of several chiarians that have had meningitis.

I had it in 1995!  if you have ever had meningitis.  I'm just curious to see if there might be a link to cm.

maybe there is a common denominator there that makes us suseptible  to meningitis.  thanks!
33%
 (2) 
YES
50%
 (3) 
NO
0%
 (0) 
NOT SURE
16%
 (1) 
ADDING COMMENTS BELOW
6 Members voted
MENINGITIS & MENINGOCOCCAL SEPTICAEMIA

MENINGITIS
is an inflammation of the lining around the brain and spinal cord

Meningitis is one of the risks of any of the CM/SM surgery procedures.

MENINGOCOCCAL SEPTICAEMIA
meningococcal septicaemia is the blood poisoning form of the disease,

I don’t know if this poisoning involves CSF.
Because of the inflammation's proximity to the brain and spinal cord then it could be a factor in CM/SM

I have never had meningitis.
ROD44
holy ****!  i never knew that!  that's scarey because i was in the hosp. for over 6 wks when i had it before.  it was so painful.....i'll never forget having that.  it was the worst!  i can honestly say that it was every bit as bad as the cm h/a and in many cases, for me, even worse!  i don't EVER want to go thru that again!
I don’t want to freak people out but Forewarned is forearmed.

Meningitis is a risk in any brain or head surgery but Antibiotics are given as a precaution to help prevent this and other infections. A family member developed  Meningitis after surgery but it was not a major problem as she was on Antibiotics post opp.
Septicaemia is blood poisoning and develops if Meningitis is not DX’T on time, it is a life threatening illness. I am not a medical person and this is just my understanding of this illness.  
Rod
My original spinal tap was negative. They then thought that I had "secondary meningitis" and wanted to do another one. Needless to say I flat out refused. I am still scared to this day of any procedures in my back.
I had Septiceimia first and then Meningitis followed.My story is a little different however.
An ER doctor put untruthful info in the charts and quickly unhooked my IV shorty after the Spinal tap and had me taken home in the early morning 6.30 am.Necessary tests were never done at the time of the spinal tap.
When I became drowsy and was brought back up to a hospital with a few hours of the tap I was refused care and admittance.A cover up ensued.
I won't get into all the details but I will say that I did have a history of chronic infections and auto immune problems.Also I have problems with chronic anemia.
Be cautious of Sinus and Ear infections.
I had menengitis after surgery. The ns said that mine was caused through a drop of blood infecting the fluid during surgery. I was on iv antibiotics for 2 weeks and was very poorly.

I too am interested to know if there's a link between the two as I have recently undergone the operation for a Chiari Malformation (I am 99% better may I add). I had Viral Meningitis when I was 15 years old so very interested to find out if there's a link at all?  My Neurosurgeon says no but I have a feeling that it does!

Thank you

Nerys
I am glad to I haven't had it.  From what I ahve read about this I am very glad.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

As Rod44 mentioned it is a possibility to get meningitis from brain surgery so any one of us could get it post op, but to have had it b4 surgery I think is more  uncommon then common,...JMHO.

I did not have it b4 or after my surgery,and I feel  if we go to a true Chiari specialist the risk is lowered. again JMHO