CHIARI MALFORMATION
COMMUNITY
How long can vertigo last?
by Spaceystac, Jan 13, 2011
The doctor said 5-7 days, it should get better. But I wanted to see how long it has lasted with Chiari patients. So please let me know how long, and what you do to help cope with it.

I started getting vertigo for the first time yesterday and it was scary. I now know the difference between dizzy and vertigo. I was sleeping when I had my first attack, laying in bed my phone chirped and i rolled over to got my phone and my whole head spun around. I put my head down and went back to sleep. I was wobbly getting out of bed in the morning but not as bad as I had thought it was,so I went on with my day.   I shoveled a bit of snow in the afternoon. Then my boyfriend and I had to go drive across town and back  While across town sitting on a friends couch, while complaining of a spike in my neck pain when suddenly my brain went sideways and twisted. I put my head back and sat still and it stopped but it was the worst I have ever been dizzy in my life. It was like spinning in circles the stopping, only I was just sitting there.
This sent alarm bells off in me, I had been seeing a occupational therapist for my jaw pain. I saw her the day before yesterday and I think this is the cause of my vertigo. I have only had 3 visits with her, but I think that was too much. She has been doing strain counterstrain on my neck as well as jaw and other tender point therapy . I was really unsure about going to her but it is the only treatment I have been offered for my jaw pain. The counterstrain therapy she used on me was gentle so I thought it would be ok. However, she did move my head in all kinds of directions and i think that  is why im dizzy, she messed somethin up in there.
Last nite I was trying to figure out what to do. I was having some anxiety after this and that made things worse I was nauseous and shakey. I was getting small bouts of vertigo with moving to fast ever since the bad attack earlier. I just felt like any moment it would happen again. I was talkin to my mom on the phone, so I tried to lay down and the dizzy came on strong. I was pissed, how am I suppose to sleep if i get it when I lay back? So i tried it again to be sure that was the case and it was, I couldnt lay down with out getting super dizzy.  I called my nurse advise line, they said be seen in 4 hours. My insurance requires the call in order to get the services covered by my insurance.  I went to the ER and didnt have to wait long to get a bed (even though I could lay on it). The doctor came in quickly as well, he asked me what happened and I explained how i had seen a therapist yesterday and told him as much about my neck issues I could. He quickly ordered a CT angiogram to check the vessels in there to make sure they weren't damaged or something (cant wait to get those films). They got me to the  CT scanner quickly and I went to lay back after warning them, and got VERY spinny. They decided to send me back to get sedated. They had to give me 2mg (i think) of lorazapam to make me tolerate the scan. The scan came back fine and I was sent home with a script for motionsickness, and papers that say "you have been diagnosed with vertigo". There is also a paper that says refferral to a neurologist! I managed to get that after asking the doctor WHILE messed up on lorazapam. Total score for the home team.   I wish I had more lorazapam cuz im anxiously dizzy and nauseated today. Tried to lay down after I woke up and it made me dizzy again so, not sure what to do. I have an appointment later today with my primary care.
Member Comments (18)
by selmaSBlank, Jan 13, 2011
Hi...the longest I ever had it was for 2 weeks....after that I was told to try non drowsy Dramamine ....it does help...also, I was told to slowly roll to one side b4 getting up and put of bed to help prevent the vertigo....not sure  that helped as it is more for those with an inner ear issue...but, in case it was an issue, I did try it.

Try the OTC Dramamine and see if it helps u, it helped me...and I know the rocking boat feeling u get when u lie back...like everything is moving...no fun....u can not do nething and staying still is no fun either.

Hope ur vertigo is short lived

"selma"
by Spaceystac, Jan 16, 2011
I went back to the ER earlier, I realized my release instructions said if the medication isn't working or making it worse, call or come back in. The Meklazine or whatever, wasn't helping anything but the nausea and I still cant lay down and my back is getting really irritated. I have been so uncomfortable for the last 3 days it seemed more like a week.  
So, I went back and the  ER an the doctor didnt seem know what to do with me after I told him I already had a CT angiogram. Thankfully the hospital I was at is top rated for stroke patients.    He could tell I was very uncomfortable and tried Valium which was short lived and didnt help much compaired to the lorazapam, but I don't think they wanted to send me home with that. I asked for tylenol for my pain and after it didn't help, my pain got out of control and I started crying and let them know that none of it was working. The doctor was really busy, and when he came back he caught me crying. He told me that the ENT's have different tests they can do, and to go see them. He listen to my pain complaints and offered hydrocodone (bless his heart) and a Toradol shot for inflammation after suggesting it. He was nice and understood I wasn't well, not seeking meds.  I just wanted to be able to be comfortable at home, not on the verge of constant tears from the exhaustion physically and mentally.  And I have no primary care, I fired him so I wouldn't be seen till next week sometime by a new doctor. He gave me meds to take home and a ENT referral I am just so happy I got a referral, that is truly the best and most important part! Of course I really wanted to be comfortable, but really I want to find out what the cause is and I would have lived with out the meds,  and and been very uncomfortable. And I am so thankful for all of the help and care the ER has shown me, I have a better outlook on the ER.    Of course a Neurologist referral would have been more ideal, but Im sure the ENT will help me get one, when they realize that the problem is most likely neurological.
by Spaceystac, Jan 23, 2011
My ENT appointment is tomarrow. I had some relief from the Toradol shot, it seemed like I felt better after the shot took full effect, then it came back when It wore off. I cant do much with out feeling crappy and dizzy. When I get out of bed I get a mild vertigo attack for about a minute while my head adjusts. Laying flat has been bringing it on, and putting my head back.  I am able to sleep on my left side, then after a few when things calm down I can roll over on my right side of my head.  While I am up and awake I sometimes just feel like Im on the verge of getting vertigo and I have noticed that usually my right pupil is larger then my left when I feel like this. It doesnt feel like something that is just going away. My head just doesnt even feel normal, and I feel foggy headed constantly.Hope the ENT can help, hope it goes away.
by selmaSBlank, Jan 23, 2011
Hi Stacey...

so sorry to hear u r still having the vertigo issues...I can not remember, but did u have the tilt table test?....did they check u for POTS?..check ur BP?

Good luck with the ENT visit tomorrow, post an update : )

"selma"
by Spaceystac, Jan 23, 2011
No tilt table test yet, but I will mention it at my app.  I have always had issues with getting light headed when standing up to quickly at times. My vision has gone black around the edges, and ears start ringing, mouth goes tingly for a few moments. I have passed out, but I can usually get back down before that happens. I dont know If it is related but, those are just things I have noticed over the years.
by selmaSBlank, Jan 23, 2011
...and ur BP?...do u keep track?...especially during these episodes?

"selma"
by Spaceystac, Jan 24, 2011
My BP was 150something when I went to the er both times and the doc told me to stay away from salt in the mean time. That was the highest my BP has ever been as far as I know. Usually in 110 over 70.   My father has chronic high BP so I will just use his, good idea selma!
by selmaSBlank, Jan 24, 2011
Sounds like a plan, but be sure to let ur NS know about ur BP issues....

"selma"
by Spaceystac, Jan 24, 2011
Update on appointment today. They did a hearing test first and it was normal. My right ear (the bad side) had a little less hearing then the left but not anything to be considered a abnormality. I saw the doctor and told him my history and onset. He did the tuning fork test and it was normal. He looked in my ears and they looked normal. He tried to look in my throat but I gaged on him so he couldn't see much, I assume. He took me to a different room with a table and had me lay down, first with my head to the left and then right. The left wasnt so bad at first but I was really flat so I started getting dizzy feeling like I was starting to get vertigo.The right side was terrible, It wasnt far into laying back with my head to the right that the vertigo came on strong. I calmed after a few moments but I was very uneasy, the doctor said my eyes were actually going in a circular motion while I was having the vertigo. I came back up and was really dizzy again, like everything had to readjust. It really exacerbated it and I feel pretty crappy.  
   So he I think is calling benign positional vertigo, but with the other issues I am having he is noting that he wants my pcp to send me to a neurologist, and I didnt even ask! I was so happy, but unhappy at the same time. I have been fighting for a neurologist referral for a long time now, and my last two doctors literally told me they didnt think I needed to see a neurologist. One doctor went to the clinic administration and requested I be switched from her care to a osteopath I had been seeing for lower back manipulations In the same clinic because I requested a referral for a neurologist. The doctor she passed me to denied my request and I kept seeing him hoping things would change, and they didnt. I had to fire him, I broke down In his exam room after a terrible visit just after I started getting vertigo. I explained to him that I would eventually need to either see a Neurologist, or expect that you are going to order my yearly MRI due in March and if you arnt willing to do either of those things then it would be a waste of our time. He said I could make another appointment and he would look over my information again, but i dont see a need to send you to a neurologist based on what I have seen.   I fired him and I know the new doctor will listen to the opinion of the ENT.
The ENT also suggested vestibular rehabilitation therapy if the vertigo doesn't resolve or if I wanted to give it a try with the specialist he recommended. I said only as a very last resort, I will have to research it more before I even think about that. He also gave me a card for a oral surgeon TMJ specialist, which I would have to pay out of pocket for but I made an appointment for a consult this Wednesday, I cant handle the jaw pain anymore, and I was hoping the ENT might have some answers for that but unfortunitly not. Consult at oral surgery is $95 X-rays 105 but I have a x-ray so Im hoping that will help.  

I didnt mean for this to get so long, oops!
Selma, my NS I went to said I was not in need of surgery, and that due to the fact that the fluid in my spinal cord being centrally located, it was in his opinion a prominent central canal, whether than a tiny Syrinx but the radiologist says it could be either of the two. He released me with no physical limitations and no answers to my questions. I have since found that I have borderline cervical spinal stenosis which I assume is further restricting the csf flow, and I am not diagnosed with Chiari, but In my opinion it would be considered Chiari0. My "tiny" syrinx extends from C3 to T-1 and is most prominent in the area of the stenosis in my spinal canal. Being that it appears centrally located, that means there is likely to be communication with the fourth ventricle, so the csf can go through the brainstem to communicate with the natural path of the central canal and you can actually seen this in my MRI's. I have read that syringobulbia is when the syrinx extends up into the brainstem and can even cause things like vertigo and other cranial nerve dysfunctions " like eye issues and jaw issues". This is my big concern, that my syrinx is enlarging and I have no NS anymore.
It is a tough long battle to fight, and sometimes I  feel like I am going nowhere!