Chiari Malformation Community
How soon did everyone go back to wk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

How soon did everyone go back to wk?

Hi everyone my surgery was on January 11. My dr told me I would be out of work for 3 weeks. I have been experiencing a lot of pain still in my neck, back, shoulders, and bad headaches. I have also been having bad dizzy spells. I contacted my dr and he took me out of wk anothr wk and said he thinks Im overdoing it. He told me to start 1/2 days next wk then go back full on the 18th. This is stressful for me because I have exhausted all of my paid leave but have no choice but to stay out. :(  I have three questions and would reallllllly appreciate everyones experience and opinions: 1)Is this normal or has anyone else experienced this almost a month after surgery?  2)How long did you have to stay out of work?  3)Did anyone have to stop working all together as a result and go on disability?
I'm 7 1/2 months post op decompression and fusion skull to c2.  I had my surgery done in mid June and did not return to work until mid September (I had the months of July and August off as I work in a school).  Initially, I went back 1/2 days for 2 weeks, then back full time at the beginning of October.  I needed every bit of that time.  My surgery was more involved as I had 2 procedures done at the same time (due to EDS and instability).  My advice would be listen to your body....and follow your surgeon's directions.  Over doing it will only set you back.  I hope this helps a little....remember, everyone is different and, therefore, heals differently.  :)
Thank you. Im trying to rest as much as possible and not stress about work but that part is hard.

Hi...we r all different, some of us have not gone back to work, but 3 to 4 weeks depending on what u do may be far too soon...especially if u r having issues post op.

Did u have a post op MRI?

I have not been back to work,....and my surgery will be 4 yrs this May....I do have related conditions that have played a role....but I am not on disability, my job  terminated me while I was still on leave.....so I had no job to go back to,.

What type of job do u have?
I've had 2 surgeries. After first I went back at 3 months. Way too soon. Second surgery was aug 2012 and I haven't returned to work. I have disability hearing fri and I'm only 33. Dr has u goin back way to soon........as for what your feeling it takes up to a year or more. As for me I just can't seem ti catch a break. I can't do anything without pain. I have other diagnoses to, so that don't help. I am constantly in pain and swollen. I wish I was normal, but that's not gonna hapen. Tell your dr he's crazy to send u back to work any sooner than 3 mo or until your ready. Good luck. Rest,,,,,Dana
@Selma: My dr scheduled a 6wk postop mri for March 8. I work for the Social Security Administration working with the public on the phones and at the windows. My normal schedule includes a 9 hr day so I can get every other Friday off. I had to leave at 1 yesterday. I had a great day last Thrsday (I was off still)but then pain and dizziness started back on Friday.
@Dana: Thank you for your input. Yea it seems like I might have went back too soon. But it makes me feel better that it appears to be "normal" to us anyways to experience this still. As far as your hearing I will keep you in my prayers. Being that I wk at SSA I know how difficult the process is and believe me I hate that for everyone especially for you. Please keep me posted on that and if you have questions let me know. :)

Hi....well we can have symptoms return around 3 months post op.....and sooner depending on what we r doing...

U work in an office setting, and I am sure it has florescent lights which can affect us, make us dizzy and nauseated,.....

My eye Dr suggested a tinted pair of glasses to help with the light sensitivity.

And u may want to go back part time, and slowly work ur way back to full time.....FMLA is set up for that ....so ask about it.
Okay thank you so much Selma. You are right about the light and its one right over my desk. So that makes perfect sense. And thx for yhe advice. I may have to do that for a while. I appreciate your insight.
Has the surgery stopped your miagrain headaches?
I have still been having headaches :( Not all of them are bad but Ive had some that were just as bad as before the surgery
Three weeks seems really early to me. I don't even leave the house other than for medical appointments for the first 6-7 weeks. I've gone back as early as 2 months (which was WAY too early and was kind of a nightmare). After my most recent surgery I went back at about five months. I think the suggestion of a slow return to work is a great one. I did that once -- started at 8 hours per week and slowly worked back up to full time.

I hope you can get the rest you need -- you'll feel better and be less likely to have complications if you take it easy. It was brain surgery! Three weeks is very early, so don't stress about feeling like you're not on track. Good luck!
3 weeks is crazy to me.  Did you have the laminectomy & duraplasty, too?  And did you have the "traditional" surgery (not some type of minimally invasive one?)  
I had my surgery in early July of 2010. Following the surgery I used all of my vacation, personal & sick time and then had short term disability until I went back to work in in mid-September. I only worked a few hours a day.  I had a long commute and honsestly that was all I could handle.  Personally I don't feel that I should have been released back to work that soon.  I was still struggling to just be "up & around"...it was utterly and completely exhausting.  I only did this schedule for about a month and then had to quit due to us moving out of state (that was fun, too, following brain surgery! LOL) then I didn't work at all for about 2 months; then started full time at a new job.
One thing I noticed is that the NS didn't really seem to listen when he asked me what kind of work I did.  I work in the service industry and although I have what he seemed to think was a "desk job", I am on my feet and moving & lifting things, carrying stuff, up & down and on the run all day.  So I would try to give your NS a good picture of what your work day entails.
If you push yourself too much, it will take a toll.  Your body has been through a major event.  It is hard to "give yourself a break" but you have to really try to just focus on resting as much as possible. Not only will your body have a hard time keeping up, but then you get frustrated because you feel like you're not recovering as well (fast) as you should be.
Best of luck to you.
Hi,  I am new here, but had my surgery November 5th.  I tried to go back to work after 2 months, and it turned out to be way too early for me.  I am going back off work now for another month and then will reevaluate.  Yes, 3 weeks seems totally crazy and way too early!  Good luck and feel better!
Hey.
I was out bout 6 months and even after that I felt it was too soon.
I was in bits for 1st month so that's normal. I wasn't allowed drive for 6 weeks.
I don't understand what your doc is playing at. Get plenty of rest. Don't worry bout work.xx
I am a student, so I know it is slightly different. I started college with a full schedule (15 hrs of class time a week) plus a part time job (only about 6 hours a week), mind you that doesn't include homework, studying, or commuting, at 3.5 weeks post op. this was WAY too soon! I dropped down to part time for school and struggled with that until about 6 weeks post op. everyone is different I I found short blocks Of time multiple times a day much easier to manage than going for many hours in a row. If this is an option at your work you may want to consider that. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Thanks everyone for your input. This makes me feel a little better that I am having this issue. My main fear right now is that I have exhausted all my leave and my job doesnt offer short term disability. My husband just started full time at his job butI carry our health ins.  :( But I will just have to find something to do.Thanks again everyone.