Chiari Malformation Community
Hypermobility and ehlers danlos III

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hypermobility and ehlers danlos III

Just got back from a dr appt with my 10 year old daughter. She has hypermobility or as the doctor described it 'laxity' in her joints. I asked the doctor is this ehlers danlos and she said from her study she seems no differentiation between hypermobility syndrome and ehlers danlos III. My daughter has no pain in any joints so she said she technically has neither right now.

Has anyone else heard that Ehlers danlos type 3 is the same as hypermobility syndrome?

Thx

Seamatty

Hi....yes, I have heard them intertwine the 2 terms...in fact I do have a letter from a Dr somewhere that explains this in more detail and much better then I can...I am still learning about all this too.

It is  several pages long, so I will have to post it in a journal as it is far too much for a thread.

Also Selma if you wouldn't mind explaining how eds and chiari are related I would be greatly appreciative! I am very interested

If I could do that...wow, not sure I can, but what I can tell u is this those with  Chiari are prone to connective tissue disorders as well as auto immune disorders and EDS is a connective tissue disorder.

Many of us have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which is an auto immune thyroid condition which is not always found thru normal thyroid testing.

With out finding the article in the medical journals  to support the fact they r related, here is from one Chiari specialists web page on this topic and others :

Groundbreaking Research

Chiari Institute physicians were the first to:
Find the link between Chiari I malformation and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome in a subgroup of Chiari patients.
Discover and investigate the relationship between Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and functional cranial settling.
Define the link between tonsillar herniation and occult cord tethering in a subgroup of Chiari patients.
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
soccero, and selmaS commented on soccero's status
Jul 11
soccero feeling absolutely horrible ;( Comment
Jul 09