Chiari Malformation Community
I have Spina Bifida Occulta of my S1

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

I have Spina Bifida Occulta of my S1

I went and asked for my Mri's and any other radiology and I got a whole bunch of cool stuff on disk. So the last couple of days I did more research and have become a certified radiologist (just kidding).  My pelvic x-rays have the findings, Spina Bifida Occulta. I knew I remembered the doctor saying that when I was at Shriner's. And my cervical MRI does not show any tonsil herniation, how ever my cerebellum looks squished up against the posterior fossa with now CSF flow between the two. My Syrinx is very small, but i feel like the thoracic MRI's are definitely needed.I could also see the Tarlov cyst very well and I was kinda shocked by it. It is literally at the bottom of my CSF flow, the white of the CFS ends and then there is a bubble more CSF. The axial view if it looks more like 3 small cysts, instead of the "a small Tarlov cyst" as noted. So my question is, do I see a doctor that specializes in Chiari still? Is there any other specialist I should see? Any other recommendations would be great!
Hi  Stacey....I would say yes to get a opinion as they specialize with chiari related conditions such as syringomyelia and u do have a syrinx.

Plus they like to read the MRI's them selves and do not go by outside radiologists or NS.....I am glad u have ur MRI's in hand and it will make getting a second opinion that much quicker.I do also suggest u make copies so u keep a copy on hand.

If there is a different specialist u should see, the chiari specialist will refer u to whom that should be.

"selma"