Chiari Malformation Community
IS Chiari and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Was Diagnosed with a 11.2 mm herniation in jan 2013 had 2 MRI just had a EMG Done Yesterday. Now they tell me I have Carpal Tunnel In right hand and borderline carpal tunnel in left. Ok yes, that great at least it shows i am telling truth about the numbness in my arms but what about my legs they are numb too??? Just so confused my nuerologist has said i need surgery and is referring me to a nuerosurgon , so not sure what he will say. Just confused. Are these related? DO I have Like a bunch of different things going on ? Or is is all linked back to the Chiari somehow?
Did they actually test you for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or are they just justifying the symptoms. A sphinx can look like carpal tunnel.
Haven't heard that they're related. That being said, I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel during my nerve conduction study. I also have a syrinx in my thoracic spine (the entire length of it). It might be interesting to look into further.

Do you have a syrinx? If you do not know, I would suggest getting it looked into.

Best wishes,
Annie
My Mri of my upper spine showed no syrinx. It all looked okay and yes they did a nerve test and the results showed carpal tunnel!! Just wondering if there was any connection. I never really had the numbness before I started to really have more symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, falling sensation, brain zap feeling, fatiguereally bad pressure in the back of my head, slurred speech and memory loss, and from all of those symptoms they tested me and found the chiari. Now From the Nerve test I have Carpal tunnel. I'm just so confused.. I guess i also don't really know what to expect from my 1st appointment with the nuerosurgon appointment either.

Hi I was also DX'd  with carpal tunnel and tarsal tunnel yrs ago...long b4 my Chiari DX. They used some new fangeled type of testing for this and I had surgery on my right ankle and continued to have issues post op, then they said I needed another surgery, cutting bone etc...well I decided to wait and later found I never had it, it was from the Chiari....so, do talk with a Chiari specialist and see just how it may be affecting u.

Even with ur EMG results let the Chiari specialist review it for u.

BTW- after a drop attack I required surgery from injuries sustained ...in order to have PT be beneficial I also needed that ankle redone to correct the problem the first surgery left....and in the aftermath I have some nerve damage...so, keep the carpal tunnel on the back burner until u see the Chiari specialist and see what they think. JMHO