Chiari Malformation Community
Is Chiari I the same thing as cerebellar tonsillar ectopia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Hi, My grandaughter has been dx with chiari 1, thethered cord and celerbral palsy. Last year she has surgery on her cord. Her last mri sasy there is no evidence of cerebral tonsilar ectopia. does that mean her Chiari went away?
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

In many with tethered cord, it is the tethereing that causes the tonsils to herniate.....and after the release of the cord the tonsils retract.

This does not always happen....chiari  malformation is the area of the skull which holds the cerebellum is too small and it herniates.

I would suggest u continue to have her monitored.....chiari malformation does not go away, and a fall or a bumpy ride in a car or an amusement park ride can trigger the tonsils to re-herniate.

Also, I am sure u were told that the cord can re- attach.

I pray her condition keeps her symptom free so she can enjoy being a child.

"selma"
Avatar n tn
thanks so much for your prayers and your answer. But, are the two things the same? I mean Chiari 1 and cerebellar tonsillar ectopia? Thanks
Chiari malformation is the skull being too small-
cerebellar tonsillar ectopia is the cerebellum being push downward creating the herniation.....so the herniation is gone, not chiari malformation....two different things.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.....I know what I am thinking, but do not always convey as well as I would like.

Let me know if u r still confused.

"selma"
selmaS commented on selmaS's status
Sep 17
sherimom, and selmaS commented on sherimom's status
Sep 16