Chiari Malformation Community
Itchy incision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Itchy incision

So I am now 6wks post-op and my incision is itching now more than ever! It is driving my absolutely CRAZY!!!! It itched a little bit early on as my hair was starting to grow back and all the stitches were falling out but why now??? Everything looks OK back there... from what I can tell anyway. Did any of you have problems with itchy incision? And what did you do that helped??
Hi Stephanie, I have not had CM surgery but I have had surgery, it is normal for an incision to get itchy during the healing process but I dont know about 6 weeks post opp. The important thing is that there is no infection, if it is swollen and red looking this could indicate an infection. If you are going to use creams be careful about the creams you use. I know Carolyn & Selma can help here :)

Try not to itch the scar.....

Ray
I'm trying SO hard not to itch the scar!!! It was easy in the beginning when it was raised up and I could feel it easily I would just kinda scratch around it. But now that its healing it's s lot flatter and I can't really feel it. I'm worried that I'm scratching it in my sleep or something.
Hi...I had the itching for a while as my scar was one that kept opening and scabbing over....but, u will have itching and pulling sensations after u wash ur hair....

I would ask ur dr if there is a cream...I did not have ne...only a antibiotic ointment for the open wounds.....

U will also still have hair coming in so u will  have itching for a little while yet.

I hope it feels better

"selma"
it's itching because of the hair growing back!  lol!  have you ever shaved....elsewhere?  it itches when it grows back!  lol!  just rub it a bit instead of scratching and that should help.  good luck!
elizabeth
OOOHHH the itching!!! That was horrible for me too.... I noticed it started about week 2 post op and continued for quite a long time (basically until I was completely healed). For me it was definitely the incision that was itching more than the hair regrowth b/c it was centralized right on it. I relieved it a little but itching up and down each side of it but I was too scared of what would happen if I actually itched the incision so it kept me from doing it. I think if you accidentally itched it you would know..b/c it would be painful. I wish I could give you an idea of something what will help but really the only thing that does is time...

Hope you are doing well :)
Carolyn
That is kind of what I am concerned about. My hair is at least 1/3-1/2 of an inch long already. I do know what it feels like when you shave.... elsewhere, and this is a very different much more intense feeling.

Oh and while we're on the topic of hair... My hair is falling out! And I mean BAD! It's way worse than after my daughter was born. And anyone who has children know how much it falls out!! Did this happen to anyone else? If so how long did it last? (maybe I should have put this in a new post - oh well :)

-Steph
Hi...yes the hair falling out can be one of 2 things...one- bcuz the trauma of the surgery...this can affect ur hair and it will fall out,so this is normal to an extent.two- u may also have a autoimmune condition called Hashimotos thyroiditis...this can also cause hair to fall out...many chiarians do have this as well.

I have a pic on my profile page of one clump I got out after washing my hair.....it was huge!

No need for a new post : )

"selma"
I was going to suggest getting your thyroid tested...it is almost a sure sign for  me that mine has gone low when my hair falls out.

Mine took a dive after surgery and a lot of hair fell out...the same thing after each pregnancy. So..I would get the levels checked just in case!

Carolyn
I had my thyroid checked not to long before my surgery and it was fine. But you say yours changed after your surgery? Do you think it could change even if there was nothing wrong with it prior?

Selma- I saw that pic. that is what happens every time a wash my hair which is typically every other to every 2 days!!
Well it will eventually slow down.....I still occasionally lose some hair, but nothing like right after surgery.

Do u know if when they checked ur thyroid if they tested TSH only?...if so, u will get told it is normal...to find out if u have an autoimmune thyroid issue they need to test free T3 and free T4 and TPO antibodies as well as TSH.

I spoke with my hair dresser about the hair loss and she assured me in addition to what my PA at my NS's office that itis from the trauma of the surgery and it will slow down.

"selma"
Thanks selma.

I had my TSH, T3, and T4 tested. I'm not sure what TPO antibodies are though?

TPO antibodies - If you've been diagnosed with thyroid disease, your doctor may recommend a thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody test — in addition to other thyroid tests — to help determine the cause. TPO, an enzyme normally found in the thyroid gland, plays an important role in the production of thyroid hormones. A thyroid peroxidase test detects antibodies against TPO in the blood.

The presence of thyroid peroxidase antibodies in your blood suggests that the cause of thyroid disease is due to an autoimmune disorder such as Hashimoto's disease or Graves' disease. In autoimmune disorders, your immune system makes antibodies that mistakenly attack normal tissue. Antibodies that attack the thyroid gland cause inflammation and impaired function of the thyroid.

I was tested for this once they saw nodules on my thyroid.....but, members in the Thyroid forum here suggested this test be done b4, I knew about the nodules so I am not really sure....
I already was dx with hypothyroid b4 the surgery but shortly after surgery my meds had to be upped b/c my TSH levels went too high again. One of the first things I noticed is my hair really falling out (it always does to a degree) and that I seemed to put on about 10pds. Sure enough...my meds needed adjustment.

One thing to watch, if it is Hashimotos (autoimmune hypothyroid) the antibodies attack making your thyroid under produce and then they can let off for a period of time. During those breaks your TSH can come up normal on the blood tests...but if you have the antibodies in your system, they will start to attack  again and your TSH levels will rise. This happened to me, I was dx hypo, took meds for awhile..then I started to feel like I was going hyper so I went off the meds and for a long period of time my levels were fine. Then, all of a sudden, I went really hypo and had to go on meds...I think the AB have now damaged my thyroid enough that I will just keep needing more increases. So...if the hair falling out continues..you may want to get another test one.

Though I have also heard of your hair falling out just due to the trauma of surgery..so it could be that as well.

Hope you are still doing well!
Carolyn