Chiari Malformation Community
Know any good surgeons in Virginia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Know any good surgeons in Virginia?

My brother has 10 mm herniation and a syrinx 4mm x 6mm.  So far he consulted with Dr. Scott D. Simon from VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University).  Dr. Simon has performed about 100 decompression surgeries, and my brother was not real impressed with the extent of Dr. Simon's knowledge about the surgery.  Anyone know of a good neurosurgeon in that area?  I read up a little about Dr. John A. Jane at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA.  Anyone ever have work done by him?  My brother has BCBS and needs to check on if he is limited to stay within a certain geographical area before he can consider going to Dr. Rosner or Dr. Oro or anyone else out of VA.  The very day he was diagnosed, I ordered him Dr. Oro's book "Conquer Chiari..." and my brother and his wife have been educating themselves daily, so they understand that it makes the TOTAL difference on what surgeon does the work.  I appreciate any input or references to past posts you can offer.  Yours, Laurie
hi laurie and welcome to our little family!
sorry to hear of your brothers dx but so very glad to hear that he and his wife are doing their homework!! as well as the family!!  how wonderful for him, as that is half the battle!!!  there is a thread here on the main page with a list of specialist that our members have used.  if you have trouble finding it, give a shout and i will copy and paste the link if selma has not already done so by the time i have finished typing this!
please have your brother join us if he and your sister in law have any questions or just need to vent.  this is a wonderful place to come not just for information, but for compassion, understanding and support as well!
elizabeth
Hi and welcome to the chiari forum.

We do have a list here for  u to use as research to locate a good dr, it is not to be considered a referral...it is compiled from the members here...their personal drs...and they add them if they were happy with them.

I do not believe that there is one on our list from VA....but both Dr Rosner and Dr Oro r....and have very good reps....

It is also very important to rule other related conditions out like syringomyelia, tethered cord, sleep apnea, etc.....

I wish I could offer info on the dr in ?...but I have not heard his name b4.Ur brother is lucky to have a sister take on being his advocate : )

We r glad to have u join us, but so sorry for the reason that brought u.

"selma"

Hi!!

I live in Virginia Beach and my surgeon was Dr. Joseph Koen!  He is with neurosurgical specialists of virginia.

I had a wonderful (if that word can be associated with surgery) experience - i am a little over a month post-op and am doing well!!

(send me a message if you want some more info)
My son was just diagnosed with Chiari 1 do not have a doctor yet. Can you tell me more about Dr. Koen? We live in Norfolk.

Ericka

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The thread u posted to is an older one, and the poster u addressed ur comment to is not active at this time, we do have a list of the drs that did treat the members here...and the list was compiled for new members to use to research drs...not to use as a referral, but a means to help u locate names of Drs that have successfully treated chiari.

Not all names may be for true chiari specialists...we do suggest u educate urself so u can identify a chiari specialist when u meet.

girton08 joined this community
Welcome them!
skrowe uploaded new photos
Jun 30
InGodsHandsIStand added the Sleep Tracker
Jun 30