Chiari Malformation Community
Leg weakness/knees buckling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Leg weakness/knees buckling

Hey All - I am having some serious issues with my legs and don't know whats going on. I don't have a diagnosis but am working with a few doctors.

I am wondering what are neurological reasons for leg weakness/knee buckling. It doesn't happen everyday and when I do get it its not always along with my other (disequilibrium/vertigo) symptoms. Sometimes it lasts a minute, sometimes a few hours, and sometimes 2-3 days!

Today is a bad bad day. I can barely walk and am taking care of my 13 month old all by myself. Luckily my head/cognition isn't bad so I can at least think clearly.

So basically if I try to walk my knees just give out repeatedly. My legs feel tingly. I can stand if holding onto something or leaning, but not for long.

I just don't know what to do.... who to ask... what questions to ask... and of course when I'm at the Dr. my legs are fine so they don't really understand when I tell them I can't walk!

Any help!?!?!
Hi, so sorry your going through this, I'm currently on / off crotches where my legs buckle so much, have you had a spine MRI done? I only ask cause I have scoliosis, stenosis, nerve and spinal cord impingement which is causing the biomechanics of my lower back to not be very good hence leg weakness and stability. I completely understand it's SO hard never knowing from one day to the next if your gonna be able to walk ok. X
Hi - thanks for responding. I actually did just get an MRI of my spine done yesterday. I have such a difficult time trying to read these things... do you know what I would look for?

I walk with a cane on bad days - it is sooo frustrating :/

Thank you!!
What does your MRI report say? ;-)
Is it both legs, is there pain or is it just weakness?
Do you have pins & needles and/or numbness?

Ray
There is no report with it. I got the MRI done at The Chiari Institute yesterday and brought all the images to the Neurologist I met with. He didn't mention anything when looking through all the MRIs....

It is both legs. Today I had shooting pains in my right knee and down my shins... sometimes in my hips. It is not constant just shoots randomly. I haven't had any pins/needles today or numbness, but I have experienced those feelings in my feet and toes. Side note: My left foot almost always goes numb/falls asleep when I drive for an hour or longer.
this all sounds like nerve problems.
Do you know if you have a Syrinx or Disk degeneration or any other spinal problems?
I agree.... I know I don't have a syrinx and don't think I have Disk degeneration... I would think that the Dr. would have said something yesterday :/

Thanks for your answers...

I think the x-ray of my low back/hip/pelvic area looks wrong... any ideas if that could be a problem? Not really sure what I am looking for - or who to ask
Ask your neurologist. That's who you need to talk to. If you've got a dr at the Chiari Institute, then you've got a wonderful resource. Call him, make a follow-up appt or something, even if it's just to get clarity of what's going on. You shouldn't be left in the dark. You've got to remember to ask these questions and be your own advocate with doctors.

I have problems with mainly my right leg. I have numbness and tingling on my foot and ankle, and up my calf on bad days. I also have had issues with that leg buckling/giving out on me and spasticity in my muscles. My calf almost always feels like it's going to cramp up/ Charley horse. It's difficult to walk sonetimes and I use a cane, but I've got pretty bad dizziness and vertigo too.
Has anyone yet determined what is happening with your legs? My 14 yr old daughter is having these same problems. We've taken her to many specialists, including a neurologist, but nobody seems to know anything. I'm interested in whatever you found out with your situation.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Was ur DD DX'd with Chiari?....does she have ne related conditions as well?

Chiari can cause these issues CB mentioned,.....and u need to locate a true Chiari specialist to help as most Drs , NL's and even some NS's are not well informed or experienced with Chiari.

Did ur DD have a brain MRI, and cervical spine MRI?