Lumbar puncture
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering is it painful to do a LP? My neurologist suggested that if this new medicine that he's prescribing still doesn't work on my headache then a LP should be done before referring me to a NS.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Dear achyhead8,

First of all welcome to the forums!!!  

First of all, I'm not a doctor, but I was a recipient of a Lumbar Puncture in April and everything went smoothly. It wasn't painful at all -- not even the local anesthetic.  I laid for two hours after the procedure and went home.  I didn't even have a "headache".  

However, as you mentioned, you do suffer from them and I'm sorry to hear of it.  

What is his reason or indication for doing the LP?  

I wish you all the best and hope I was of some help.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Hi...those of us with chiari should refrain from having a LP when possible as the LP itself can be drawned too quickly and cause the tonsils to herniate further.

If it is medically necessary then ur Dr will make sure that the tech that does the procedure knows 1- that u have chiari and 2- to draw slowly to avoid a problem.

Most important is to lie flat after the procedure  to avoid a leak, drink plenty of fluids like water.....if u experience severe HA's call ur dr asap!

"selma"

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I was told that that would be my next examination if my new medication doesn't work by then.

Lisa, the reason for the LP is because I've constant headache, most rather severe ones with lots of other symptoms, like dizziness, achy facial bones, eyes, ears, tinnititus, numbness on my left, heavy chest, achy neck and back, radiating from shoulders, etc... What makes it worst is that now I have memory and concentration problems. I find it really hard to concentrate, which is especially bad when people are trying to tell me something and I can hardly focus on the conversation for longer than 2 to 3 mins and then I got lost in the conversation. My MRI showed that my tonsillar hernation lying just below the foramen magnum. My neurologist thinks that it shouldn't be a problem so he was trying me on lots of medications for the past one year. I was a lil better for a very brief period then it's now back and worst with constant dizziness.So that's the reason why he wanted to do a LP in order to decide whether to refer me to a NS as he said that surgery would be the very last thing that I should consider, which I totally agree with him in this case as it sounds scarry to me to have someone operating my head for that matter.

Honestly, I'm getting a little nervous on what I shall become of with these crazy symptoms. Sometimes, they do drive me up the walls and it's not helping when one has piles of work to get done. Sigh....

Anyway, all the best to all of you out there and please do share your advices with me.

Thank you!