Chiari Malformation Community
MRI Images?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

MRI Images?

I have continued to be on a lot of pain and even though my head pain is daily, the flare up episodes I have are getting more painful. The pressure I have inside my head will cause me to vomit when I sit up or turn my head to quickly. This is a new thing for me. I have also had more problems walking a straight line during these episodes. My head also feels like its sloshing around in my skull after the episodes. That lasts for a few days. Last one took 6 days from beginning to end and I had one day of feeling pretty good before the next one started.  I have been blown off by 2 NL and a so called specialist but I am not giving up. I am waiting for the first of the year to start my insurance (since I lost my job) and will send my stuff to Dr Heffez. Maybe I can get some answers from him. Anyhow I was wondering who has pictures of their Chiari. I have a 4-5 mm herniation and my tonsils are more rounded. I know some on here have larger and smaller herniations. I am very interested in seeing the difference. I know the size doesn't really matter but I am very curious. I also have not had a CINE MRI but would like to know if possible blocked or comprimised cfs flow cam be seen on the regular MRI images. My cerebellum seems to be pressed against the back of my skull. Not sure if all the pain and pressure in my head and neck are caused by bad flow or none at all in some areas. I feel like banging my head against the wall on most days. My head is going to explode! At least that what it feels like. I feel like this is slowly killing me. Sorry so long but I could really rant forever.
Hi..I understand where u r coming from...the last 2 yrs b4 I had surgery I thought I might go crazy at times...the fatigue and the pain was too much at times...

The fact ur tonsils r more rounded, is that fact specified on the report?That could be the cause of a CSF blockage...the long thin pointed tonsils will not block CSF like a short rounded wider tonsil will....

Is this new insurance for those with a pre-existing condition?

"selma"
My report says I do not any cerbellar decent but when I brought up chiari to my nl she sent the radiologist an email and had him measure. It came back at 4.7 mm. She said they were rounded and not decended enough to be chiari and my symptoms were not related. The new insurance won't be an issue since I have no diagnosis at this piont. Only headaches.  Thaher opionion is what's makes me so curiuos about other images and comparing. The headach3es are all pressure which causes pain. My pain meds help with the pain only a little bit but the pressure is getting worse and no meds help with that.
Well  the no meds helping is typical of chiari pain.....and again, it is not the herniation that makes it chiari...these drs r using old out dated info to make a determination and it is all incorrect.

I sometimes feel I may repeat myself too much and I will repeat here only bcuz not everyone reads all the posts here......

Chiari malformation is not the herniation of the tonsils, but the malformation of the skull, which causes the tonsils to herniate.

It is sooooo frustrating that drs are mis informed and then in turn mis inform us.....

"selma"
I know Selma.....the frustration is more than I can take at times. I wish the doctors knew as much as you do. We would all be better off. I hope finding a new doc will be worth it. I know something is not right and I can't seem to convey my feelings enough for anyone to take seriously. If they only spent a couple days in my head they would have had me "fixed" by now. I know surgery is not a cure but at this piont I. Would welcome it. Anything!!!!! Thanks again.
The biggest problem is the medical school's no updating the info that the true chiari drs have by doing most of their own research....if the info was updates, more drs would have the proper info...

U r welcome...just know, surgery with the wrong dr could mean u could feel worse...so be very careful in making this choice and choosing ur dr.

"selma"
Hello my herniation was 4-5 mm and I have pics of my MRI pre op on here on my profile page if u want to see. My ns said it was crowded when he got in during surgery and my tonsils were restricting csf flow.
My cerebellum is squished to the back of my skull too! My tonsils are AT the foreman magnum, but look like they would fully herniate (rounded) in an upright position and I cant get anyone to listen to me. My cervical spine narrow and only .3 mm away from being noted as stenosis in my report. This is in the area of my neck with a  tiny syrinx and bone spur contacting the spinal cord. So unless a doctor actually looks at my mri, they have to take my word for it, yea right.  
  I would love to go to medical school and have the diplomas to back me, but I think I will be very unhappy about how they actually go about teaching.  I am already disappointed that most doctors  dont even look at x-ray's these days, I can only imagine what else they do in ways I wont agree with.