MRI Results and Possible Chiari?
I recently got sent to get an MRI by my ent to find out the cause of both central and peripheral vertigo as well as some ear and migraine problems. The MRI report says "cerebellar tonsillar ectopia up to 12mm", so does this mean that it is definitely Chiari or that it may be Chiari? When I was looking up what the tonsillar ectopia was in advance of my appointment with a neurologist in less than two weeks, and the symptoms of Chiari seem to match really well what I've been experiencing for some time- migraines, headaches that get worse when coughing, balance problems, neck and back pain, (recent) tingling in hands and feet, blurry and double vision, fatigue, sleep problems, nystagmus (on the vng test I had which was part of why I got the MRI). Other things seem to cause these symptoms as well, so I am not sure. I am also wondering if Chiari causes lesions, as they found a "few scattered patchy white matter t2/FLAIR hyperintense lesions" and since I am only twenty (idk how age plays a role, but it said "considering the age of this young patient" or something to that effect) they recommended that "acute or chronic demyelination or focal inflammation" be considered. I know I will hopefully get more information when I go to the neurologist, but I'm trying to look up what I can beforehand since it's been my experience lately that doctor's aren't the best with explaining everything and what causes what unless you have some info beforehand and ask questions.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Symptoms of low lying tonsils are the same to Chiari Malformation, but they are not the same thing....low lying tonsils can be acquired due to a trauma....and it is possible for the tonsils to retract....however, since they are 12mm's I am  not sure that will happen anytime soon....

Lesions can occur due to major headaches....and may not be anything else but you said they something about ..demyelination. Demyelination is associated with MS and many times Chiari is Miss DX'd as MS....

Find a true Chiari specialist and have more testing done.

And to address if you have Chiari or not....Chiari is not the herniation but a malformation of the skull a train NS should be able to tell the difference....but not all NS's are trained about Chiari....so research Drs that know not only Chiari but ALL related conditions.