Chiari Malformation Community
MRI Testing on thoracic and lumbar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

MRI Testing on thoracic and lumbar

I am going for a thoracic and lumbar MRI soon.  What related conditions should they be looking for in this area? Selma? (not sure if they would automatically look, so I want to have all bases covered). Thanks!
Well i am quite sure they are looking for a syrinx and maybe tethered cord!!! Its a good sign,my ns never did

irislista got it ...syrinx in both areas and tethered cord for the lumbar area...they will also look for ne disk issues as well.
Well, the only reason they are looking is because I go on Medhelp and get myself educated, haha, so I pushed for this.  Thanks for this site, Selma, and everyone else who tries to help!

Heather
Did you have lower body symptoms too?  I'm wondering if I should ask for this.
My main problem was a weakness between my shoulder blades when exercising.  Didn't take much to tire me! After exersion, I got so fatigued and my arms (first) then eventually arms and legs began to ache. My doctors so far, have been saying that Chiari is not causing me symptoms (you know, the usual).  This is all pretty new for me.  When I was diagnosed and evalualted by a NS ten months ago, I had very few symptoms so I can understand their confusion.  As aches and pains have developed, I've found it hard to convince the doctors that something is just not right!  I had to go to my PCP three times before he actually really listened -- now the thoracic and lumbar mri.
I hope you're taking good care of yourself.  This condition can cause just about anything.  I've been on a steady decline since November when I was happily hacking away at a "jungle".
Thanks! I am slowly learning what I can't do! Exercise is down to walking the dog, but that's ok, walking is good...and my little Jack loves it!  I was diagnosed at 49(50 in a few weeks :()...my NS said that symptoms can usually be managed at my age; on the other hand, he also said to do whatever activity I wanted because it wasn't affecting me ???? We just have to listen to our bodies and stand firm on getting the right diagnosis!  This site if a godsend! Without it I think we'd all be going crazy listening to our doctors tell us there is nothing wrong.  It's so great to receive all your support, knowlege and experience here!
AlyssaWhite0908 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26