Chiari Malformation Community
Nerve Damage and Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Nerve Damage and Pain

Two years ago i underwent surgery for Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia. I have never expereinced headaches like some but i have nerve damage on my left side from breast to knee....I have been told that it is permenent and that i could take Cymbalta. I refused and live with the pain. I need suggestions on how to deal with this. It affects my sleep, my mood with my children adn husband and my outlook on life. I cant find anything on the nerve pain affiliated with this condition. Idea????
Hi....I am so sorry to hear u have pain u can not find relief from.

May I ask, did u rule out other chiari related conditions? Like tethered cord....EDS.....??
Did ur syrinx, collapse after ur chiari decompression?
Have u been to a chiari specialist lately to get advice?

I do know that some use PT, meditation, or even accupunture to help with pain.

"selma"

Mild nerve damage can repair itself, but major damage is irrepairable. I hate to say it, but it is possible that you may have chronic pain. I know you say that you are willing to deal with the pain, however, you might reconsider the medication.

I don't have direct knowledge of Cymbalta, but there are several types. I'm on Lyrica and it helps me quite a bit.

The thing about a neurological pain blocker is you have to stay on them. Once they're in your system, they block or dampen the pain signals coming from your cells. If you decide they aren't for you after you've been taking them for a few weeks, you have to be weaned from them. Don't go cold turkey.
I have not had decompression surgery yet, but plan to schedule it this summer.  My main symptom is upper back and neck pain.

I agree with Shane99.  I've been on Lyrica for a year and a half.  I'm not crazy about the idea of being on too many medications for long periods of time.  But, I start hurting more when I forget to take a dose.  Or if I try to come off of it slowly, I notice that I'm in more pain.  

I have found that my pain isn't nearly as bad when I am exercising... just any kind of activity...  I've taken up tennis with my husband and just trying to stay in better shape.  It's so much better than sitting around and hurting.  I know that the thought of having to exercise makes me sick sometimes because my pain is so bad, but I just have to keep trying anything that helps!

I wish you luck!