Neurologist or Neurosurgeon ~
My daughter had surgery, will be 6 months on April 10. She is having lower back pain, back of her hurts and she also tells me her muscle hurt. I understand why she had surgery. I don't understand about the after the surgery part. From what I gather for posts is that she will always have pain? What do you do for the pain? She was not given anymore pain meds. Wondering if I should take her back in? If I do? Is it back to her Neurosurgeon ? or do I find a Neurologist? Sorry so many questions?? Just a mom trying to help her daughter.

Hi..so sorry ur DD is still having pain, but u have to look to see is it new pain, or something new...if it is something she had b4 surgery is the pain the same or worse?

IF she is only 6 months post op, does she have a visit to her NS coming up?...what about a post op MRI?

If this is new, or and old pain that is worse, call the NS....he/she may suggest u go to a NL, but go to the NS first.

Was tethered cord ruled out b4 surgery?

She is still healing and pain is part of that process as the nerves begin to function again they mis fire and just r not working properly.

But to be in pain that is disabling that keeps her from enjoying life is not to be expected...but u do need to wait and see how she progresses.

When u consider this pain, u also have to look does it have a source other then chiari...in that I mean is she doing too much post op right now for her?

what does her day consist of?
Thanks for answering my questions :) She had a MRI at 3 months. The NS said everything looked good. We are not to see him until January.

They did rule out the tethered cord before surgery.
I have also believe the healing process and the nerves begin to to function again are part of it.

She has started back to school. They said she was ready? But has also wonder if it was to soon?

She has a very high tolerance for pain. So when she mentions it to me I know that she is really hurting.

How often does she go to school?...did she gradually go back?..does she have to carry a lot of books? Climb stairs?.....

This can be playing a big part in it....
She did start back a little at a time. She is now going everyday. Yes, she does carry books and they do have stairs. I thought about the book part( her sister goes there helps her). I didn't think about the stairs?? I will talk about this with her in the morning.

Carrying books up stairs is not a good thing...and books can be heavy.,

There r things she can do to help in class too, such as a prop to hold her books up so she is not looking down all day and that can bother her neck....

A bookcase on wheels so she is not carrying all her books....or a helper....as she should not be doing that.

She is not participating in gym class is she?
She is not in gym class. These are great tips for me to pass on to her.
Didn't think of the strain of looking down at her books.

Thanks for helping me out :) I'm always open to anything that we may be over looking, so feel free to send anything my way.

I am glad she is not taking gym.....

Well give all that a try and see if it helps and if she feels ne better.....

This does take time to heal and we all heal at our our pace and depending on what we do...we just may feel it more for a while.....

Do keep us posted and let her know that she can ask for help at school : )
Ok I almost didn't put my two cents in but as a college student with chiari I know enough about adjustments. I hate to even suggest it but one thing that improved my life drastically when dad bought me a Kindle so I could carry my kindle instead of a bunch of books. Nook might be better because it's connected to Barnes and Nobles. For the stairs at school, all schools usually have elevator access for the disabled. Try to make sure the school knows she needs that. Also ask for notetakers because she'll probably miss things that she needs to write down because she might be distracted by pain or bathroom needs and so forth. Also find out what else the school can offer her. Many services are required by law even with temporary disabilities by schools and you need to know what's available.

Very good points, and not knowing if the school had an elevator or not.....this is y I said she should feel like she can ask for help at school....but u have to know what she needs help with.

Cynderski-

Talking with the school is a great idea, but many times they may not be helpful with out a Drs note....so, do talk to her Dr as well and see if u can get this for her to help with some of the issues that mey be taxing for her.
Oh yeah all schools require medical proof. Get the paperwork before your next doctors appointment. If the appointment is too long away bring it to your primary.