New to all of this
Can anyone tell me at what measurement surgery is typically done?  I have just received after 3 years that the brain scan that was done, after 3 years of symptoms, shows cerebellar tonsillar ectopia with a measurement of 3mm.  I am excited to finally have a diagnoses and anxious to get on with my life.
welcome... sorry u are going through this... in answer to Ur question, the size of the herniation doesn't always determine whether or not surgery in an option. it depends on the csf is blocked. also something to keep in mind is that u really want to find a true chiari specialist. when i originally had an MRI they told me my herniation was 3mm. after seeing a true chiairi specialist i was told it was closer to 6mm. i was also told that my csf was almost completely blocked, which made me a surgical candidate more than the herniation. they also look at how it affects u. there are people who have a more severe herniation and no symptoms and there are those who have a smaller herniation  and debilitating symptoms. hope this helps
I can't thank you enough!  My general dr. is saying that I may be a candidate due to the symptoms (my vision, ataxia, limb sensation, memory, etc.) Se is sending me to UVA neurology, where she has had success with other patients.

At what step are you in this process?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Surgery is usually done if a syrinx is present, or a CSF obstruction....and it is also looked into as to how it is affecting ur overall health.

Surgery is not a cure or a fix....many times surgery can lead to other issues if additional related conditions are not ruled out b4 surgery is considered and done...so do make sure ALL related conditions are ruled out, and u research Drs and locate a true Chiari speicalist.
Thank you very much, it does seem that everything has been ruled out; though that seems to be a loaded word.  It seems to be where I am that a specialist isn't important though after speaking with those in this forum I ma beginning to understand more of the diagnosis and need for a specialty doctor.  Thank you again for your comment!