Chiari Malformation Community
Oro or Milhorat/Bolognese/Insinga

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Oro or Milhorat/Bolognese/Insinga

I've been doing a lot of research on locating the perfect neurosurgeon for me.  I've narrowed it down to:

The Chiari Care Center with Dr. Oro in Aurora, CO or
The Chiari Institute with Drs. Bolognese, Insinga, and Milhorat in Great Neck, NY

I was hoping for testimonials from past patients and any sort of insight you can give me.  This is such a complicated process and I want to make the most informed decision possible.  

You guys are the experts now, please allow me some of your wisdom!  (c:
Tags: neurosurgeon, oro, milhorat, great neck, Chiari Institute, Chiari Care Center
Actually add to that list Dr. Heffez and others at the Chiari Center in Wisconsin.  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

What our experience was will not dictate urs, or even how  much we liked our Dr, can not say u will as well...u have to go and meet them and see for urself which one is best for u.

I was lucky to be able to meet both Dr B and Dr O at the same location and really would have gone to either as they both were so nice and willing to talk to me....I did wind up with Dr Insinga at TCI as my Dr, and was well pleased....we have many that have been to Dr Oro and  feel the same way.

We each have to decide if the dr is right after meeting them, obviously u did some homework to know who the top drs r, next u have to meet them, as u can not deal with a dr that u personally do not like, we r all diff , so u really have to meet to figure that one out.

I would look btwn the 2 u first mentioned and leave it there.....

Make sure u r checked for all related issues, ICP, disk issues, sleep apnea,syrinx,tethered cord, ehlers-danlos and go from there.

Many of us do have our surgical experience in our profiles under the journal, some of us u may have to friend to read them....so do not hesitate to ask, many also have pics of our scars so u can see what that looks like as well.

Remember u need to feel comfortable with the Dr....as well as know how experienced he is with chiari and related conditions.
Well, I love mine (in NC), but you might want to consider travel expenses -- as well as the discomfort of travel.  I dread the 4 hr car ride, but I think being on a plane would be worse.  Also, what kind of follow-up is proscribed.

I would ask questions to each dr.

I've also been at a major university hospital and a small 7th Day Adventist one, and I much prefer the small one.
Vivian

Oh yes, there are a few good Drs down south too, one in MD and one in NC.......

I was not saying the ones she picked were the only ones, but of the ones she picked to go to 2 and see what she thought.....

My belief is we can not refer someone to a Dr, as we are all diff, and that is y I say go meet them and see who u like, and who u feel has the experience u need them to have ....u have to look at all related issues u may be having as well....some NS's may have treated chiari but have no idea what EDS is, and they should!!

I just want to clarify I was not suggesting who to go to, but of the ones mentioned to go to 2.
Dr oro is my dr but I live an hour away which is one reason. I loved him his kindness and looking at the big picture was huge. He ran so many different tests to rule out lots if things and even sent me to my pain dr when he couldn't do anymore. I know there ared alot of great drs do good luck on your journey and may you find the right one for you!
I too love Dr Oro you can read my journals too I had surgery by him 2/9.  I too have heard great things about TCI