Chiari Malformation Community
POST PFD :-)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

POST PFD :-)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update yall on here. As you know I went in on wednesday for my surgery which started by 9 and i was in the ICU and awake.. they kept me in the ICU for 48 hours and then moved em to a normal room, i was supposed to be released on Sunday(2 full days after ICU). Well randomly ( and i had no kowledge, i felt fine) my heart rate sky rocketed saturday night to over 130 so they decided on monday, then on sunday because of how rediculously severe my headaches post surgery are Dr B ordered a Lumbar Puncture, and since it was normal we were still talking about monday until monday morning. monday morning i was STILL having horrific headaches it feels like my head is pounding pounsing going to explode even with the Ocycodone and Flexoril. he decided to wait ONE MORE day to see how i was doing.. today is alright, i just got home it ook like 5 hours to get my paperwork done so i could be discharged and i had to wait over an hour for my scripts at their pharmacy only to have to go to another one locally. They gave me much stronger drugs for athome, and a little something extra for the drive. The headaches come and go, if i lay down on my tummy with my head to one side and breathe deep usually 15-45 mins later they lessen or go away all together. So other thank a few glitches everything is fine ill be in ny till thursday morning at my hotelthen were starting out home over 2 or 3 days. Thanks all of you for helping this me to be prepared, this forum has helped more than i can begin to explain

THanks Again Everyone

Kara
I am glad your surgery went well.  So sorry about the severe headaches and I am glad they seem to be letting up a little.  Try to allow yourself lots of time to heal and take it really easy.  I hope you have a speedy recovery and a safe trip home.  

Hang in there!

Pam
thanks pam, i know it takes time im just the kind of person with no patients and subconsciously rush everything, i even have to tell myself over n over that i cant move so fast, or turn my head and move.. lol. i really hope the headaches go away, especially since dr b kept repeating that most patients some out with pain but not headaches. one day at a time i guess. right?
:)
Kara
Yes,  one day at a time!  I am the same way I have no patience either especially with being sick.  I want it all done yesterday.  I jokingly say maybe Chiari was God's way of teaching me patience since nothing moves fast with this illness.  

Keep improving!  Feel better soon.

Pam
well, just an update

the headaches are subsuding but the pain from the surgery is bothering me latly. around the incisions and my neck. the dr had me takign more meds the first few days since we would be driving and now im out of everything for another week... i sure know why i was taking them now.you would think he would have supplimented the script too.. not just tellme to take 4 not 2 a day or instead of one 3 times take 1 then 2 then 2. anyays. not doing bad.
I just called my doctor and they gave me refills of the meds I needed.  We discussed my pain levels.  I came home with Oxydocone and Norco/Vicoden. They phased out the Oxycodone as fast as they could because it is the most addicting.  I am a month out and now I can manage with 1 norco at night- they even kicked down the dosage on my last refill. During the day I manage with ibuprofen.  I found that laying on my side, helped me the most as I didn't have to turn my neck at all.  Then I noticed that all of the sudden the pain started to be less and more manageable and I don't have to rest my neck as much.  

I know at first it feels like you are going to die and never be over that horrible pain.  But it does get better and easier to handle.  I still can't lay on my back, it hurts the back of my head.  When I had my follow up MRI, they let me turn my head slightly so that I would not hurt too bad.
You should soon get to where you take it as needed and not to manage the pain.  I was taking something every two hours.  I had my little chart where I wrote down whenever I took something, glad to be done with that, what a hassle.  I didn't like the stuff at all, but I threw up one night right after I got home and the on call doctor told me to stop taking the meds and just treat with Advil and Tylenol, yeah I was less than a week post op, that did not work.  I know what you mean about knowing why you had them.  I will say I had my last baby without drugs(not my choice) That was not as bad as this- probably because as soon as the baby was born, the severe pain stopped.

Hang in there, it does get better.