Chiari Malformation Community
PT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

PT

Ok...so, my neurologist has me doing PT, and muscle relaxers and massage to help with the tenseness and pain in my neck and shoulders before we rule out that surgery is the best option. My malformation is just big enough to operate. When i started PT, the therapist did admit that I was his first chiarian but not his fist neck/shoulder pain so I had mixed feelings right off the bat. Now after over ten sessions, I feel like he doesn't understand what I need stretched. I feel like the exercises we do are not what any chiari expert would approve of but he insists my range of motion with my neck has improved. It has and it hasn't in my opinion because like always with this stupid Chiari...it depends on the day. Anyone else doing PT? What kind of exercises are you doing? Do you believe it's helping?

Thank you!! Xo
Tags: Chiari, pt, Neck, help, Pain, Exercise

Hi, u should be careful as to what they do it can cause more issues, what do they have u doing?

They should not manipulate ur neck....

I agree this can not really be charted as success, as u can have good and bad days.....

May I ask is it a chiari specialist that sent u for this PT?
I had PT after surgery and I made sure the person who was helping me was very educated in Chairi.  As Selma said it could do more harm then good if they don't know what the issue is.  I'm curious also if a specialist sent you and what exercises they have you doing.  I hope no lifting.  The streching is a good idea, but before my surgeries I didn't have anyone touch me except my NS.
Best of luck.  Let us know please I'm curious.
Linda :)
It is a chiari specialist that sent me for pt, he wants surgery to be the last option but he said I 'baffle him' because sometimes my headaches aren't always in the back of my head so he labeled me a 'mild chiari case' which may be true I guess, idk but I know when I'm hurting and its a bad day...im in bed so idk. The PT has me doing a bike for my arms, resistance bands and weight lifting with this bar (the one you pull down) all while keeping perfect posture. Then the last time we did our routine and then he put me in a traction machine that pulls your neck and then releases..this was ok at first then I was screaming to get out. After reading the list of things we should be consciously avoiding that could do more damage, I really don't want to go back. I have one more session but I think it's a lost cause perhaps? Perhaps he needs to read up more or join this site? Lol
My check up at Albany Med in NY is July 13th. I've started a journal and will tell him all about PT. I'm also going to tell, not ask, for a referral so I can go to where my mom goes in Syracuse. He seems great out there. We were also debating on the Chiari Institue..any ideas on that place? I've read mixed articles
I've said this before, but PT never helped me 1 bit.  Why would it when you think about it?  When I think of how they put me in traction. Omg, what torture!
Even when I went to PT last yr for a torn ligament in my foot, they pushed & pushed, as if I were an Olympic athlete.  No understanding of exercise intolerance, & I was scolded when I wanted to rest.

I realize docs want to cover all the bases, but I think it just delays surgery for weeks, even months.
Even if you only have one more appt. please don't let them put you in the traction to pull your head.  This could cause ore damage.  I had a Dr. give me one of these at home before being dx'd and I thought my head was going to fall off.  Some dr.s just give you something to pacifiy us and think all is good.  Sounds like this PT asst. doesn't know much about Chairi.  Best of luck.  The rest of the exercises sounds about the same they had me doing, but they are mostly strenghtening exercises and not harming your neck area.  It's sounds like a good idea to tell the what you want and not ask.  This is how I found answers.  Good for you.
Linda :)