Chiari Malformation Community
PT after Chiari Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

PT after Chiari Surgery

Just had to post since I was in here the other day posting about no migraines!  Today at PT, I have been going for my neck for about a month, I was doing "bridges" and it bends your neck, when I stopped and sat up, HEAD PAIN.  The first big Chiari head pain since I have had surgery.  I guess the PT assistant did not realize what Chiari was and didn't know that this might not be such a great thing for me.  Now I have a headache, the first since surgery!  It happened so quickly after the pain that there is no doubt that my massive headaches were totally caused by the Chiari!  I will not be made to do that again at PT but it was just interesting, they really should have a protocol for Chiari patients!  I did note that I had to seek PT, my surgeon did not send me in this direction.  Not much follow through for the Chiari patients!  Spooked me a bit, I have had a great six months not feeling that pain!  
The after care is non existent...and the further we go on our journey we r finding we must include to the list of must haves is a NL or PCP at home that understands chiari to help with the after care the NS is only concerned with r u healing and is the obstruction gone,. after that u r on ur own.....and he is justified in doing so...we just need to find  another means to be taken care of.

I know that PT does not know or understand chiari...I was told to go by my NS, I could not locate one that understood what chiari was and I did not go...which was good for me as I did have another issues going on with a disk which PT would have aggravated.

Not sure what "bridges" r, but doesn't sound good....lol...I do have a page in my profile of exercises my NS had my PT show me while still in the hospital....u may want to print it out for  ur PT....I did not do all of them...only certain ones.

Sorry u had the pain today...avoid those bridges : )

"selma"

Thanks :)  It really surprised me the "anxiety" I felt when I had the head pain, it caught me so off guard and I am so afraid of that pain.  I guess I understand it is gone most of the time but I hate knowing it is still hiding there somewhere for more "extreme" conditions.  I have had a few small head pains but nothing like today.  

Bridges are on your back, knees bent and then hips up (bends your neck and he had my head on a pillow making the angle more severe.)  Other things they are doing for my neck though are wonderful and I feel greatly improved for taking the time to do this.  I just "thought" they understood Chiari, I suppose even as we continue on we still need to know more than "they" do!  Before I would have known not to try that one :)  

Just interesting that PT is not scheduled for everyone, it would seem very important!
I agree....and the fact my dr did do it I was assuming all drs did...well u know what  happens when we assume.....lol.....

yup....so, do look at the neck exercises I was given it may help them understand...like I said not all of them, but it has pics so u can see how to do them

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/171420?personal_page_id=197028&photo_collection_id=1369

"selma"
Thanks... taking a look.  I just found out I need knee surgery again Monday so I am sure after being down for that I will be starting with neck exercises again!  What a year, this will be surgery number three!  I only had my knee done three months ago and it is still not ok!  I suppose that next year has to be better right?? :) LOL