Chiari Malformation Community
PULSING HEAD SYMPTOM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

PULSING HEAD SYMPTOM

Does anyone else experience this type of feeling.  My son (23) says he experiences a constant pulsing sensation  as well as a pressure on side and top of head. I have heard of pounding headaches as a chiari symptom, but not a pulse type of sensation.
Is this an uncommon symptom?
Karen
I can understand this complaint very well! Mine is not constant though....just before my head starts to hurt really bad, my head pulses on my right side, I feel it all over the area I have the most constant pressure. Then I get slammed with a debilitating headache!
Hi...if there is a CSF blockage it is possible to feel the headache as a pulse bcuz it goes with the heart beat......that is why the CINE MRI done to look for CSF blockages uses a BP clip to monitor the BP as they watch the CSF flow.

Make sure the CINE MRI is done w/wo contrast.

"selma"
Me again! My son will be having a CINE MRI. At thispointI do not know if it will be ordered w/wo contrast. Could you please explain that a little further--why contrst is needed?
Thaks very much.
Karen
Hi Karen,

The contrast "lights" up the area's they r looking at to see more closely what is causing the blockage and what nerves  may be inpinged.

Imagine looking into the back of the closet with out a light....u can see what is there, but with a light u can see the detail...like color more clearly.

If it is not done with and w/o contrast when u get to a chiari dr u will have to re do the test...also if u do not see one with in 6 months of the test.

I hope that helps : )

"selma"
Very helpf\ul.  Thanks.