Chiari Malformation Community
Physical therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Physical therapy

I had my family doctor remove my stitches so I didn't have to drive back to Chicago which is 4 hrs away from me and I told him how I can move my neck really well to the right, and some up and down now, but not at all to the left. I don't mean I can't move it because it hurts, It just really won't go. My parents and fiance said hen the dr came in to talk to them after I was in recovery he told them it ws a lot worse than he expected, and that i was going to have a lot of issues on my left side my but my parents disnt ask why and did not tell me this until after we were home and i was complaining about the back left side of my head  My family suggested physical therapy and set me up an appt. So my questions are is this normal to not have any motion on one side being 20 days post op, and also is it safe to go to physical therapy? I called my dr and left vm asking along with my other questions I have already aske on here and am waitin for a response but my first physical therapy appt is tomorrow so I'm running out of time. Thanks!
I was ordering to do physical therapy by my NS. ...he prescribed it. He wanted me to wait until at least the stitches came out. He didn't want me moving my head either, until he saw me. THis thursday I go to getmy stitches out. I can turn my head to the right( not allthe way , but enough) and I can look uip slightly and down just a bit, but turning to the left is impossible. I had the same prbnlem...apparently my tonsils were wrapped aroundm my brainstem and were much more enlongated than originally believed. So not only did they have to unwrap them but he had to cuaterize  them as well,. which ws not in th original plans...as well as holllowing out the arch of C1. He honestly thought he could get away with just jremoving the peice of bone and opening the dura and placing the patch. So my 3 hour surgery turned into a 5 1/2 hour one. I am not quite as far along as you are, but I must admit that I understand....I have about the same amount of monvement...maybe a little left, and it is always myleft side of neck that is in excruciating pain. I hope this gets better for you, andmake sure and call your Dr's offoce again....let them know that it is imperative that you speak with him or his murse immeditely !!

Good luck to you and       best wishes my friend.
Selma has neck exercises posted on the forum that could probably help.  I went to physical therapy for 8 months after my surgery and it did help.  The physical therapist researched chiari and syringomyelia and did not allow me to do anything that caused pain- ie:  if the exercise caused pain she discontinued it and had me try something else.  You may also benefit from seeing an occupational therapist.
I know physical therapy really helped me.  I made sure that the therapist was educated in Chairi before even touching me.  It helped me get some strenght back, and it also helped with the stress exercises.  As for me.  Before therapy I was avoiding turning my head and with the stretches it helped me to be more mobile.  Hope all goes well for you.
Linda :)
I went to PT once and will notdo it again....made me ill.  I do have EDS as well.  I called my NS and hey old me not to let anyone touch my head or neck period.  They did slight traction and that day I was ok but later was not.  Ask your NS for specifics on what's ok.
I had a dr. that tried the traction once and I thought my head was going to explode.  He was crazy and never went back to him again, but the physicial therapy helped me a lot.  Big difference in who you see and what they know.
Linda :)
I have to say that PT has helped me only in the patient pool.  Any other time I had PT, I felt like they were pushing me, as if I were an athlete in training, and they typically had NO understanding of exercise intolerance.

Don't forget, baby steps.
Well my dr. Nurse finally called me back today and said no physical therapy until he see's me for my 6 week check up. Also I said stitches earlier and I meant staples lol..  It's amazing that I already feel 1000x better than I did before surgery except the not being able to turn my neck to the left lol.. Is there any real restrictions I should have right now? I know I can't really life but I have went to the store a few times with my fiancé, had to go to school to meet with my advisor an sign up for my fall classes, and I would like to start doing some light cleaning but not bending over too much. Is this ok to do 3 weeks post op?
Are you driving?  Esp if you can't turn your neck to the left?  I think you have to really be I tune w/how you feel, because the problem w/overdoing is tha you don't know it until it's too late.  There could be mild repercussions, or worse, so it's better to err on the side of takingTOO good care of yourself.  Most kids dont allow you that luxury again.  :)
No driving. Still on pain med and I don't feel comfortable doing that. Heck I fall asleep texting right now. Haha.. I just want to know if I can do lite housework, take a walk around the park, or go to the store as long as I feel good doing it.
My NS would most likely say yes, enjoy your life & get back to normal.  But maybe a 15 min walk @ first, instead of an hr?  I don't like sitting around myself, so I get up every hr, go pee, change chair/bed/couch, & change activity.  I would be walking in my yard, but it's too hot.
.  I'm pretty sure my daughter got me out of the house for shopping  a couple weeks after my previous surgery--she was headed off to college as a freshman; now shes a NP. . How time flies....