Chiari Malformation Community
Post-Op Hair Washing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Post-Op Hair Washing

Hi everyone, I am now 5 days post op. My doctor told me that I couldn't wash my hair until I am 10 days post op because of my incision. My hair is really starting to smell bad and just feels yucky and I can't stand it! Any advice on how to clean my hair without getting my incision wet?

Hi...u can get a dry shampoo or have someone help...

My DH washed mine as I stood in front of the kitchen sink...it was easy to lean and bend forward....and he was able to prevent water from getting on the incision.

Good luck...keep in mind even tho u r doing the rest of ur head the more u wash it as the skin dries it will pull...and can pull the incision apart.....or feel like it is...so keep this in mind...plus choose ur shampoo wisely.....I was told to use J&J baby shampoo.

I had to wash my hair before I could leave the hospital with baby shampoo. Then I was able to wash it every few days careful not to use hot water nor keep it wet too long...I had staples, don't know if that makes a diff or not. Hang in there, u don't have to impress anyone :)
The dry shampoo will help make your hair smell better, though it will still won't feel really clean. Like Dana says, hang in there. Just think how good that first shampoo will feel -- something to look forward to!

I hope you're taking it easy and that you're doing well!
I had my mom help me wash mine. It was making me feel worse just knowing how dirty it was lol. So i feel your pain. I leaned over the sink and she washed it with warm water and a cup and baby shampoo then i just pulled it into a loose bun on top of my head. You will definitely need help
Ball123 commented on photo
Ball123 commented on photo
Antere added the Exercise Tracker
Aug 26