Aa
A
A
Close
Post Surgery Leg Numbness
Hi, my name is Maggie and I had my 5th surgery on June 14, 2011 and just got home on Tuesday June 21st. My first decompression surgery was in 2008 and I immediately acquired hydrocephaulus and required to subsequent operations in a matter of 15 days. I was never able to walk correctly after that third surgery. For the following year I went and did every therapy that my doctors thought would help me. Nothing work. As the time came closer to one year post op they did an MRI which revealed I had hydrocephalus. Back to the operating room and now I have a VP shunt. Well the year and half since I got my shunt I was remarkably better but it was not great. I still had balance issues, pressure headaches and lots of pain in the neck area as well tingling in my arms. Another MRI revealed that I had blockage of the cervicle spine and now I had a cyst in the spinal column that was compressing my spinal cord. They suggested surgery and that is what I had last week. I feel much better from the headaches and I no longer have the tingling in the arms. Now what I do have is my entire right leg is numb from the waist to the toes mostly on the outside of the leg. They tell me its because of the position that I was in during surgery (surgery lasted 9 hours) and the week following surgery that I was not able to stand up and was only move from my left side to right side. They say I need to give it time. They want me walking with a walker because my leg could give out on me and since its all numb I may not realize it. I am very happy with my surgery and the outcome and have to say that I'm glad I had it done. I was wondering if anyone has had this numbness post op and if so how was it resolved? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maggie
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
620923 tn?1452919248

Hi Maggie...I did not have that situation, but...ur surgery was only last week....nerves r disturbed during surgery and it does take time for them to heal...in fact, during healing they can flare up and give us  a repeat of symptoms we thought we relieved with surgery.....

I know since u have this numbness in ur leg, that it may be diff from ur other surgeries u have had, but the cyst may have been pressing on the nerves for ur legs as well as u being in a odd position for surgery.

Unless things get worse...I would say give ur self time to heal.

"selma"
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank
soccero, and selmaS commented on soccero's status
Jul 11
979826 tn?1389039958
Blank
soccero feeling absolutely horrible ;( Comment
Jul 09
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank