Post Surgery
Hi all. I haven''t been on in a while things have been very hectic. First let me say that my son had his surgery on September 11th. He did fantastic for 2 weeks. Then during the 3rd week we he had a bad headache and we ended up in the ER again! The NS had the ER run an MRI and do a lumbar puncture to check for Chemical Meningitis and his pressure. Everything came back negative. (Thank heavens) They put him on migraine meds, pain pills, and a steroid just in case there was any inflammation they couldn't see. Jesse has continued with continual headaches first thing in the morning that can be controlled with pain pills. He always had the 15 sec. headaches, these headaches are different. The NS thinks that maybe he now has migraine headaches and is referring him to a headache specialist. Everything else seems fine. His depression is gone, no 15 sec. headaches, he is enunciating his speech, no falling to the ground, etc. Can you guys that have had surgery tell me what you went through after the surgery? My feeling is that he's only 5+ weeks out of surgery, couldn't these headaches still be from the trauma of the 8 hour surgery? Thanks.
5 wk is very early; at that point, i was having head pain mostly on either side of my incision & still taking percoset.
i'm still taking pain meds 4 mo. post op.  it's kind of all over my head now.
i'm sorry the NS is referring you elsewhere, especially if the pain is managed. i agree w/you.

HI I agree that 5 weeks is early and he  should still be on pain meds.....but I have to ask if his HA's r positional?

Also depending on what meds he is on, some meds will change the ideology of the HA so it will feel different,...TOPAMAX does that....

So, it really depends on him and how he feels, if he feels worse then b4 surgery or if it is new...

May I ask what he is doing on a daily basis? Is he walking and doing neck exercises?
He was off his pain meds three days after we were home. He is not on any medication except prn for headaches. He is not doing any exercises.  The NS said he didn't think he needed anything. Talked with him again today, the last two mornings he has not waken with a headache. (for the first time since the surgery) He is playing video games, which I thought might be part of the problem; however, I made him come home for a few days without video games, this didn't change things.

Not sure y he would be off pain meds so soon.....or y he is not doing ne exercises...the neck exercises help prevent the muscles in the neck from getting tight and causing more pain and they also aid in preventing scar tissue from forming.....

I am sure the video games r not helping....but again, does his position affect how he feels?