Chiari Malformation Community
Post-Surgical Level of Activity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Post-Surgical Level of Activity

I had a decompression with cranial-occipital fusion and repair to basilar invagination last Tuesday.  I was feeling so good after surgery when I got home that I tried to get as close to a normal level of activity as possible.  Lately, I've been paying for it though, so was told to tone it down.  

My question is this:  what have your tolerable levels of activity been after surgery?

I have to ask, didn't ur NS give u instructions for home?...I was told not to bend to even pick up a piece of lint...u need to rest and let ur body heal...the meds r giving u a false sense of how u r really doing and u will feel it by doing much of nething...so rest...u can walk and there r some exercises u should be doing so u do not heal in a stiffened position....I do have a pic of the exercises my NS suggested for me...u may want to check with ur;s to see if he wants u doing these or which ones, but u do need to move ur neck and walk....http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/171420?personal_page_id=197028&photo_collection_id=1369

Good luck with ur recovery : )

"selma"
Thanks, Selma.  I'll show the exercises to PT and OT.  

My instructions (brief): some walking, no bending, no heavy lifting.  My neck is in the collar most/all of the time.

Sorry Selma:  I'm just realizing now how independent I am.  I guess I'm just frustrated...until I feel that pain!  

Danielle

In order to heal and to heal correctly, u have to go slow...do not over do...if u feel pain, u over did it...pace things out...and be patient : )

"selma"
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26
Ball123 commented on photo
Aug 26