Chiari Malformation Community
Question about lumbar puncture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Question about lumbar puncture

Anyone know why my legs would hurt so bad today after having a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) yesterday?  Also, does anyone know what the normal opening pressure range is supposed to be?

Thanks ahead of time.
Hi, a LP is not recommended for those with chiari.....I would imagine u have pusedotumor cerebri and that is y u had the LP.......

[Normal values vary from lab to lab but typically range as follows:

Pressure: 50 - 180 mm H20
Appearance: clear, colorless
CSF total protein: 15 - 45 mg/100 mL
Gamma globulin: 3 - 12% of the total protein
CSF glucose: 50 - 80 mg/100 mL (or approximately 2/3 of blood sugar level)
CSF cell count: 0 - 5 white blood cells, no red blood cells
Chloride: 110 - 125 mEq per liter
Note: mg/mL = milligrams per milliliter; mEq/L = milliequivalent per liter]

When do u see ur dr again?...... As mentioned above all lab ranges vary, so do ask for a copy of the report from the lab it should show their ranges.

Good luck

"selma"
I don't see him for a month.  Neither one of them who wanted me to have it done - the Primary who ordered it for me or the ENT.  I went to the ER a few nights ago with the worst headache of my entire life.  They wanted me to have it done then and I had to refuse it and go home bc my fiance was upset and mad that we were there for 5 hours.  That the waiting room had filled up and emptied 3 times while I waited in the room to be seen.  They made me suffer.  If it wasn't for one certain nurse... I would have been there until the next day sometime.  So anyway my ENT said I should have got it done then.   I am seeing the ENT now because of possible CSF leak, my left nostril.  I can't get fluid out now bc of a clearing up sinus infection.  It is not bad now, but clearing up and still a bit stuffy to a degree.

So I went to have the Spinal Tap done yesterday afternoon and I am in a lot of pain.  My headache not so bad at the time being.  My lower side and legs hurt sooo bad.  I had got leg pains before but this is horrible.  Like it just triggered the old leg pain again or it is something else. I don't know.  Anyway they measured opening pressure which was 11 1/2 and then did a whole bunch of tests on the fluid.  I don't know the results yet.  Doesn't matter if they are normal or not normal....my doctor will be sure to tell me they are normal.  I am telling ya....I am working on getting a new doctor.  He told me other tests were normal but they were not.
Hi...well I am even more confused...y if u have a possible CSF leak would they want u to have a LP?

I believe u r on the right track in looking for a diff dr.....if u have chiari, look for a chiari specialist.

"selma"
It has been a downhill battle with the Chiari and all other stuff.  It is like my life just gets worse and worse because I just have too many doctors and too many different answers.  I was seeing a chiari specialist - well that is what I am told.  He is on the list on the chiari site.  I see Dr. Benzel, but I still have my regular neurosurgeon too.  I can't see him until July.  Dr. Benzel said that he wouldn't do surgery because I do not have hydrocephals (sorry spelling).  He had said that my flow from the flow study looked fine so no need to do surgery again.  I want to feel better and wanted the surgery, because I am so sick of this and if it helps well...it was worth a try.  He said it is too risky.  My herniation is worse than the first time from what I was told recently in Cleveland.

They really just wanted to mainly find out if I had infection, disease or bleeding on the brain.  I have not heard my results yet and it is like 1:25 p.m. I believe.  I would think I would have heard something by now.  I am nervous/ scared. I want them to find something but from what I hear I don't want anything wrong from Blood Tests or from a lumbar puncture.  If it is a CSF leak, I have complete confidence in the Dr. From Cleveland - the ENT to do the surgery.  If it is something else I will be scared to death.

I always thought a person could have symptoms of Chiari even with normal CSF flow study.  So what is up with these doctors? Am I wrong?  Thanks a lot for listening and your advice.  I promise to not keep going on on this posting.
May I ask...have u had MRI's of ur thoracic and lumbar spine?
Did the drs rule out a syrix or tethered cord? Some of ur issues may not be directly due to ur chiari, but to a chiari related condition....

If u haven't ruled out these conditions, ask if they could at least do that.

"selma"
Yes, I have had them MRI's.  They never said anything about having either condition.  One or two MRI's indicated that I should be evaluated further for syrnix.  However the doc said I didn't have it.  As far as the tethered cord, my family suspected that and said it could be missed on the MRI.  I am hoping one day one doctor will really listen to me.

Gosh, now I am having intense itching on my scalp, head and face and now it is in various spots on my body!! I don't know what this could be and if all this pain in the legs and itching is caused by the lumbar puncture.  Thank for listening.
The tethered cord that is missed on MRi's is occulta tethered cord.... the occulta meaning it is hidden.

Do u have the dimple on ur lower back near where ur tail bone is??

Well, a syrinx can grow due to many diff things...a bumpy ride in the car a fall ect....may I ask how long ago was ur MRI?

"selma"
It has been a long time since I posted to this a lot has happend.  I have been going to the Cleveland clinic however, they stopped focusing on my back, neck and brain issues and now are concentrated on my heart...interesting!  I can tell you I AM VERY SCARED!

To answer your question like 7 months later (oops) yes I do have a dimple there according to my husband (I just got married a week ago along the side of a road 5 minute ceremony - I cant take a church wedding due to my health issues).  Anyway, I have that pain down there and what feels like a knot - a TON of pressure! Feels like something in there.  

The radiologist said it was not due to my past puncture (12 years ago) I asked before my last procedure.  He said the puncture is done in a different spot.  My last puncture was like 5 months ago I believe now.  I am telling you I feel like I am dying or I am going to die!  Our one dog has been at my side a lot and laying on my lap - this dog has never done that in the last 7 years so that scares me even more since they say they sense stuff.
I am sure the dog senses u need to be cuddled...they can tell when we do not feel well and have compassion.....

What do they think is going on with ur heart?

There r conditions like POTS and pusedptumor cerebri in which BP plays a part.....and some have Ehlers-Danlos in which they have some heart issues, but not all do....I have EDS but not the heart issue.

Do u have a chiari specialist?......I am not sure what part of Ohio u r in, but if u r close to PA , u may want to check out Dr Bejjani in Pittsburg, PA.

I hope u can keep in touch...I know how frustrating this all can be.

"selma"