Chiari Malformation Community
Question for the ladies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Question for the ladies

Okay all, I am debating whether or not shave my head completely before surgery or not, what do you think? I don't want a weird bald spot from the surgery that can't be covered with my hair and I know I'm not going to want anyone touching my head after surgery for a while. So, "To shave or not to shave?", that is the question. LOL
I wouldn't shave your entire head.  I have a lot of hair, and it's way past my shoulders.  With my hair down, you couldn't see the shaved part.  It was nice having less hair to style/manage.  It is taking longer to grow back then I expected.  It's still not the same length as the rest of my hair, but its getting there.  it's been 19 months.  

Why don't you want anyone touching your hair after surgery?
I figure my head, especially around the scar, will be sore and sensitive for a while. My hair isn't even to my shoulders, so I'm not sure how well it will cover the shaved part.
I would talk to your dr first and see how much he or she generally shaves.  I was expecting a lot to be shaved, but my dr just shaved a little strip for both incisions. I had the stitches removed tuesday and the pa had a hard time figuring out the stitches from the hair because its grown back so fast. Hope this helps and good luck with the surgery.
hi penny!!
don't shave your head!!!!!  lol!!  dr. h take only what he has too. which is about the width of a razor, maybe slightly more...and it's about 3 inches long.  if you have short hair, it will grow back to full lenght very quickly.  if it's longer, it will completly cover the incision.  your hair shouldn't bother the incision at all.  to be honest with you, it's really not all that bad....the worst part is as it heals, it itches!  lol  no worries, penny.  you will be fine.  everyone here will be praying for you and i know your family will too, so you are in great hands!  : )
Hi Penny...no need to shave ur head...I had surgery and it took a while for my hair to be all one length again, but,if it had all been shaved...yikes...that is a tad bit harder to deal with.

Talk with ur NS as they all shave diff size patches  depending on the drs methods and preferences...mine told me to leave my hair long...not to do a thing to it.

There r hats, and hair pieces u can use to help cover if ur hair is short.

In fact, until ur hair grows back it is best to wear a hat to keep the sun off the scar...I know the seasons r changing, but, I also felt it would help keep the new incision cleaner too.

My hair grows fast, and at my last hair cut 2 weeks ago, at 17months post op my hair is all one length again. It still has some uneven areas, but the length is to where I feel confident again.....

Shaving sounds like a grand idea, but it does take a while for it to grow back, but it is just the back of ur head and can be camouflaged.

"selma"

I just had surgery on Sept. 27th. My hair was just below my ears. My doctor shaved just a line on the back of my head and the rest of my hair covers it up. Do not shave your head - winter is on the way
Thanks for all the advice :) I knew this was the best place to ask. Thank you all and I'll make sure Jonathan updates after my surgery the 25th.
you're welcome, penny!  best of luck to you and i'll keep you and your family in my prayers.  so very glad you came here!!!!  we'll be thinking of you!
elizabeth