Chiari Malformation Community
Reoccurring Chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Reoccurring Chiari

I had Chiari surgery back in 1995, over the last couple of years I have been having pressure headaches. Can Chiari reoccur? I had a really bad time when I had my surgery in 95, about 4 weeks post opperative I had to be rushed back to the emergency at Duke.  Some debris from the surgery was floating and blocking the CSF and caused severe headaches that would only last for about 20 seconds. Then I would only have a few seconds to tell my family what was going on before it would hit again.  I prayed to God to help me, at that moment I threw up bile and after that the pain subsided. I never knew pain existed like that. I wanted to post that in case someone else had to go through the same thing. My question today is if this condition can come back. Thank you
Hi Lilreata,
Your pain sounds like a pretty scary time, but you turned to the right Person. I think we will always have Chiari Malformation as there is no cure just relief. I had my surgery 3 months ago and headaches have returned. I can mostly relieve them with ibuprofen and extra rest. Make sure you keep a quiet environment with very little light when these headaches occur. But you know that.

There are many posters here who have had more than 1 surgery - but I notice some of these cases of further surgery seem to be revisions to the first one. What's important is that you responded to your pain. What I wish for you is to know that you are not alone and that you found a wonderful place, full of encouragement and love.

Hi  and  welcome  to  the  Chiari  forum,.

As  Elisa  stated  above....once you  have  Chiari  you  will  always  have  it  as  it  is  a malformation  of  the bone  structure  of  the skull.....surgery allows  more  room  for  CSF  to  flow...it  does  not  remove  the  malformation  or  take the  condition  away....only  may  help some  symptoms.
Now  can your  original  CSF  obstruction  reoccur,,,,yes  to  that  as  well....

Another  thing to  consider  is  were  ALL  related  conditions  ruled  out? Many  of  them  can  cause  the same  symptoms  as  the  CSF  obstruction  Chiari  causes.....

Was  your  NS  a  Chiari specialist?.....Have  you   had  a  MRI  since  surgery? If  so  how long  ago?