Chiari Malformation Community
Ring finger and pinky finger feeling numb?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Lately I have had my ring finger and pinky finger on both hands feeling numb.  It is only the two fingers on both hands and it all happens at once.  Sometimes I feel it at night.  It does not stay like this but it really feels odd when it happens, this is very new to me.  Could this possibly be part of my Chiari??
I have that too!!  Wow, I think that we are really alike in our symptoms!!

That is something that has been better since surgery, before I would wake up every morning and it would be numb and tingly from my elbow, down the side of my arm into those two fingers. Mine would get better once I moved my hand around and I would feel it throughout the day too. I think that there is a major nerve that serves those fingers which is why you feel the two together.
Yep its a chiari thing! Mine does it all the time, and my last two toes on each foot too. It is annoying but i'd take that over some of the other symptoms any day. Sometimes they go numb, sometimes its the pins and needles, and other times its both.
HI I also have this and was told it could be my chiari, but since it came back it is believed to be my stinosis.....cervical bulging disks can also give this symton........

I have had it for yrs and I also thought that it might be heart related as mine began in my left hand and arm....I had testing and my heart was fine.

I also get it in my shins.....feels strange when I shave......
Thanks for the input!!! I am happy to know this is a normal thing!  It is amazing how many strange things happen :)  
Mine started on the left side as well and I thought it was my heart too, but I passed the stress test. My toes go numb on the left side too, mainly the 3 in the middle, it feesl so weird!

Don't get me started on the heart stuff :)  I am so sick of running around to everyone trying to solve one problem at a time so I am now waiting until I see the neurosurgeon next week.  I have had a fast pulse when standing for probably a year now, about six months ago I was getting a weird "skip a beat then thump" feeling, It would hurt some days depending on how much it happened.  They were going to send me to a heart person for stress test or do the holiter monitor (sp?) but they wanted to increase my thyroid meds (hypo) first.  It did not help the high pulse or the thump but I am just not dealing with it yet!!    

When I get this numb finger thing it is both sides at once and is only the ring and pinky finger and that side of my hand.  Really odd feeling.  I can still feel it today but not too bad.  I forgot that in Mid-January we can get rain instead of snow and I forgot that it had been raining hard for 12 hours, you could swim in my basement by the end of the day when I realized the problem!  After all the work to clean up and get water out (about four inches deep) my neck was killing me and I was getting lots of head pains so I should have expected problems.  It has been a crazy week.  
Crazy, but I am hypothyroid too and on meds for it. When the heart stuff started they checked my levels but kept saying that they were fine. Before I finally saw a neurologist I was sent to an allergist, opthalmologist and to get the stress test done. It seems that healthcare is all split into their fields and there is no one that will look at the "big picture". I found that this was the biggest frustration when I was trying to get diagnosed and I still feel that way even after surgery. I have a lot of trouble with my joints and muscles that has not even been looked into still.

When you get the heart skipping feeling do you get a weird sensation in your throat that kind of stops your breathe for a second? That's what I would get and then my heart would thud to compensate.
I noticed on my pregnancy thread that you experience some problems like I did, did you have problems with your heart racing out of control when you were pregnant?
Hello again.  It appears a lot of us are hypothyroid. When I went to them about the heart stuff the first thing they did was test the thyroid again and I was wacky again so they thought maybe it would help.  It didn't.  Really annoys me to be sent everywhere to learn nothing!  I think I need my hearing tested too, seems to be "not so good" on my right side!  I am just tired of trying to figure out where to go and what to do.  

Yeah, I think I would describe the thump as a strange feeling and then the thump.  With pregnancy I had sleep apnea, I would wake up gasping for air... sit straight up and suck in all the air in the room.  I have had some racing out of control but it is not very often and seems to happen when I am sleeping... all of a sudden I am awake and it is going crazy.  I also get the weird thumps when I am sleeping and they wake me.  I don't sleep very well so it does not take much to wake me.  
I was dx with Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder....since I am on my meds for it my heart palps have stopped.

If normal thyroid testing is done it can appear ur thyroid is  normal, so making sure u find a Endo that is familiar with Hashimoto's...it isn't as easy it sounds.

"selma"
I was in an accident 2 years ago and have "bulging discs involviing c5 and c6,,,i did physical therapy but lately i have severe numbness in both pinky and ring fingers,,,could the accident be a cause?
Yup, ring finger and pinky on my right side are numb--left forearm on the other....odd stuff!!