Chiari Malformation Community
SYMPTOMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

SYMPTOMS

I am 25 years old. And i have been having some strange symptoms for over two years now. After i had twins. i started getting dizzy alot and really bad migrains.  sometimes feelings of numbness on the left side of my face and tingling in my left arm and in fingers. its very scarey. I used to get really bad dizzy spells that would pull me to one side. sometimes keep me in one place and spin all around.
i started drinking MonaVie. which is a Antioxidant drink. and the symptoms started going away. i havent goteen dizzy like that in a long time. so i thought it was a vitamin deficency of some kind.
I had a CT scan and it showed up that it looked like i had Chiari malformation. not sever. but present. i have seen nerologists and they said they didnt think that is what was causing these problems for me?..
Recently. i lost a baby due to a infection in the fluid. And now i am getting a feeling of fullness in the back of my head. thats there pretty much all the timeand on the sides of my head. Sometimes i can even feel some twitching.
i get heart burn like symptoms too.. i dont know what is wrong with me.
I am under alot of stress all the time. especially this last year. could it be stress is it the chiari malformation?
are these symptoms dangerous? i have a MRI booked but not until June. is that too long?... Someone help please!
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

The fact u r in Canada makes it difficult for u to tell u what u can or should do...we do have a few members from up there and they can offer insight as to what they found worked for them.

Too many drs dismiss chiari as  the cause for the symptoms most of us have...even ur heart burn...chiarians r prone to GERD/acid reflux....

Keep track of ur symptoms...especially if u have ne changes or new symptoms.....but, the waiting game is played all over not just up there.

U deff need a chiari specialist and I added a link to a list of drs in Canada...u still need to do ur research on them, but this is making it a little easier as u have a place to start.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Chiari-Malformation/CHIARI-DRS-LIST-CANADA/show/1270605

Unless ur symptoms change  and u begin to have drop attacks or failing vision....please do not stress as that will only make u feel worse.

Avoid spicy foods, sodas, and elevate the head of ur bed to help with the heart burn for more tips go the the following link-http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=236
There r several pages of info on diff types of Gerd and tips  of foods to avoid, foods that r safe and how to modify ur lifestyle to help calm the effects.

Take deep breathes...know u r not alone : )

"selma"
I started getting more symptoms and my migranes (migraines) worse and more frequent after my son was born.  Back before I first visited a Neurosurgeon in 2007, my sister did a lot of research on Chiari (I had already had the diagnosis before I saw the neuro) and anyway being a nurse, she wanted to do all she could do to help me. Her co-workers too, had done some research. My sister told me that if I would have known about the chiari before hand, I should have never had a vaginal delivery of my son.  A c-section would have been the best thing for me. That could be what triggered my chiari to be worse. I am not sure, but it could be. However, I did have a car accident too and my symptoms became much much worse afterward.

Personally, my only advice to you right now would be if your symptoms do get worse to see a specialist. I am sure someone will have advice on someone to see near where you live.  Like Selma said don't stress right now. Everyone is different.
Thank you for your help
Did you guys get the fullness in the back of your head constantly??
Hi Melissa...yes, that is very common with chiari.....and it can also depend on ur activities and ur sleep patterns.

Keep us posted on how u r doing : )

"selma"