Chiari Malformation Community
Sacral dimple/pilonidal cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Sacral dimple/pilonidal cyst

Is there any link between the two, in terms of chiari?  

Hi...yes, when it is referring to a related conditional called tethered cord.

Do u know if u also have an elongated brain stem?
I don't know if I have an elongated brain stem.  But I had surgery at age 16 for pilonidal cyst and (hair patch in same area), god that's embarrassing to admit.

But now at age 35, I still get the occasional drainage from the dimple... Ugh.  Still embarrassing to admit.  

B4 I got my chiari dx my DD wanted me to try pilates...well when I did, I heard a pop and the covering of the pilonidal cyst burst open and I had drainage....I had no idea what it was or what the problem was...

I did not have the hairy patch, but do have the sacral dimple.

Do u also have bladder issues?
I was playing football with my brothers and got tackled.  I didn't know either until the next morning when I couldn't walk.  I guess it got infected overnight, after it burst.  Gross.  

I don't know that I have bladder "issues".  I tend to have bloody/cloudy urine often BUT do not have pain/urgency. I do tend to also leak.  But happens with bowels too.  I don't lose control, just 'leak'.  OMG. I cannot believe I am admitting all of this.  I am MORTIFIED.  

Well both bowel and bladder issues are tied to chiari and tethered cord.

And do not worry about what u r admitting, and if u r more comfortable u can PM me....but this is what u need to let ur NS know.
cpl years ago I did have an issue where a cpl weeks I did lose control, completely.  I thought I was dying (lol).  No one ever ordered MRIs or other scans to check my spine though, just blood work.  The only thing I remember then was that I had critically low vit D levels.  I was prescribed prescription strength vit D, 40,000 iu.  

I took it for awhile but then stopped cuz it was too expensive. I haven't had it redrawn since.  

I think maybe I'm having my "a ha" moment..

Low vit D is a biggy for us, as well as B12, potassium and magnesium....and one does not work with out the other.

IE- if ur magnesium is low, no matter how much vit D u take ur body is not able to absorb and use it.....

Too much magnesium u have one issue with ur bowel and too low u have the opposite...and those with IBS it is a constant switch back and forth btwn the 2.

But, it is also a neuro issue as well.

This is crazy....

It's all making sense.  All these years..

I know, I had the same aha moment as well...and it is strange how when we know all the info we can connect all the dots.....
Just thinking about this again today cuz its draining.  

Why would it drain still, from time to time?  Maybe few times a month I get a cpl days of drainage?  

I was told the covering over the cyst can rupture causing it to leak...and it can get infected..so do mention this to ur NS.

It could be what ever u do, causes the covering to get pulled off...I know when I tried pilates (b4 I was dx) and I heard it pop....yuck and eww and it drained for 2 yrs b4 I knew what it was,
Yeah, it is gross.  I hate it when it drains.  

Funny thing is I never thought it was abnormal until I started doing research on all of this (chiari stuff).  So I never mentioned it to any doctor - aside from when I had the initial surgery to remove the infected cyst.

I never mentioned it either...had no idea and when my NS explained my tethered cord to me and the cyst I asked if that is Y it leaked....he checked it and then told me what had  happened and rx'd an antibiotic.
I am 68 years old.  Had my pilonidal cyst removed 40 years ago.  Lots of stitches, but it has not come back.  I had put off surgery for a couple of years before that.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

When u had the cyst removed did u also have a release surgery done? Did u also have tethered cord?

It is the scar tissue that can cause a re-tethering of the cord....
Avatar n tn
cracker420 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Apr 30
selmaS, and The_Marine_Corp_Brat commented on The_Marine_Corp_Brat's status
Apr 27
Ladytruth01 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Apr 24