Chiari Malformation Community
Sacral dimples related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Sacral dimples related?

I have been reading alot on this forum, as I am undiagnosed, but relate to alot of the symptoms here.  I have a question.  I had a niece born with Spina Bifida and died as an infant 35 years ago.  Reading recently up on Chiari, I see it might be related to Sp. Bifida.  I have read deeper into S.B., and they mention "sacral dimples".  I have two at the top of the butt crease and have had them forever(I'm in my 50s).  Does anyone here have them?  Could it somehow relate back to Chiari?  My daughter is coincidentally having to go to the doctor today to address a pilonidal cyst, and we were talking about how we each have dimples and the niece with the S.B.  I told her I was just reading about Chiari.  All such odd timing!
Tags: sacral dimples, spina bifida
Our resident expert Selma will know more.
I have read that the dimples an be a sign of tethered cord.
I too read spina bifida can be related.
I had a good friend with spina bifida and I would think that would of been found more easily.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

yes, sacral dimples r related to tethered cord*...having a TC* it tightens and pulls down on the brain stem causing the tonsils to herniate....

It is odd that she has a Pilonidal cyst , as this type affects more males then females and was known during WWII as jeep seat.....

I too have a sacral dimple and a cousin with spins bifida...and his brother had a child that did not survive with it as well a yr or so ago.

Other then the Pilonidal dimples, which can be hereditary r not chiari related that I am aware of, but u may want to ask about Ehlers-Danlos as u can have skin issues, cycts, hernias, and connective tissue disorders.....

Do u or ur DD have symptoms beside having the cysts?

"selma"

Research is being done on the genetics of all of this, but to me it is clear it can get past thru family lines.....

When I look through the list of Chiari symptoms, I have a bunch.  Of course that doesn't mean I have it, I know.  The one thing that keeps bringing me back to it is I have some cranial nerve abnormalities, such as a droopy left mouth first thing in the morning that seems to get better as the day goes on.  I have had tinnitus for 15 years, and the ear has been thoroughly checked over, so not ear-related.  I had two teeth pulled in the same upper quadrant due to a shocking-like pain.  I thought they were the teeth, but now I'm thinking they were just nerve issues.  My vision is really off, as in accomodation, nystagmus.  Lots of odd things, along with continuous pressure in my whole head.

My daughter has some odd things going on, nothing major.  She did say she mentioned to the doctor today that she has pain that is an odd-type pain in one of her wrists/hands.

Do get checked for EDS...as joint pain could be the wrist pain ur DD was referring to....and until u check u will not know.

Do u take OTC pain meds?..like tylenol?....many NSAIDS can cause the ear issues too!

Just get the MRI and rule it all out.
This is the song that never ends
59 mins ago by The_beat_goes_on
skrowe is ...looking for answers. Comment
Jun 23
soccero uploaded new photos
Jun 09