Chiari Malformation Community
Sagging Brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Sagging Brain

I have been told by numerous doctors in the last 6  months that I have Chiari.  I recently went to Duke and the NS there ordered a cine MRI.  I have the results but have not spoken with the the doctor.  The results mention that my Chiari is now only 4mm and i have a "sagging brain".  I have slightly diminished flow at the cerebellar tonsills at the foramen magnum.  I also have a severely hypoplastic left and medial right transverse sinuses.  Has anyone been given the same dx?
Hi....with a 4mm herniation most NS do not recognize that as chiari or as possible to cause symptoms.Those that do recognize it will consider it chiari 0.

I am not aware of ne one else with this dx....I hope someone may be familiar  or shares this dx and can offer u some info and insight.

Good luck
"selma"
Ask your team about low CSF pressure, probably due to a leak in the spinal meninges...  Usually very difficult to find.  Normal CSF pressure reading doesn't exclude having a leak.... Treatment can be pretty straightforward:  an epidural blood patch.  But you need to know where the leak is!.   My wife was just treated and recovering after having a 14mm Chiari, positive cine MRI and sagging brain.  Took over a year, multiple neurologists and neurosurgeons.  She had multiple neurological symptoms, some dimensia, memory issues, etc.   Severe orthostatic headaches.

Our medical team found a small leak (upper thoractic/lower cervical vert.) 2-4 hrs post injection of contrast material in a CT myelogram.  Our radiologist indicated that most of these kinds of leaks don't show up until at least a couple of hrs post contrast material.

There are specific indicators in the structure of a saging brain that point to the likelihood that the cause is CSF leak rather than congenital Chiari malformation, but not everyone knows what to look for.

Huskergirl1 joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 28
selmaS commented on selmaS's status
Sep 17