Chiari Malformation Community
School Age Child With Chiari

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

School Age Child With Chiari

My daughter just started Kindergarten this year and is having difficulty with her fine motor skills.  I knew that this was a possibility but I dont think I prepared myself for it being very real.  It seems that my daughter cannot even hold a pencil properly.  She is having so much trouble writing her letters.  Has anyone else ever experienced this with their child? if so, do you have any suggestions that I might be able to use to help her out?  

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

There are aids to add to pencils to help with her ability to hold it and control it....and I am sure there is a PT that can offer some ideas for fine motor skills....I have dealt with chiari my whole life and did have issues as a child, but I did make it thru.....as we had no idea .

When I was small there were all sorts of games /toys to help with fine motor skills....lace up cards, basically was card stock with a pic on it and holes punched around the pic, We used yarn and a plastic needle (no point) to sew the yarn thru the holes.....even tracing books.....

Keep us posted ...Good luck to u and ur DD : )

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Hi I am a pediatric OT and I work in schools (also have chiari) first off please know that alot of kindergarteners struggle with this problem. I would definetly see if your school had this service. There are many ways to strengthen fine motor muscles if u don't get assistance from school you can try private OT  or pm me and I can send you some ideas...hope this helps and best of luck!
Selma,
Do you know where I can buy those aids at?
Cash,
I called the school yesterday to talk to my daughters teacher to see what she had to say.  She told me that she also sees my daughter struggling to use her pencil which is in turn making it more difficult to write her letters.  
They are going to screen her under this school age intervention program to see exactly what her area of need is and get back to me.  
We are also in the middle of changing PCP's and this Friday is our first appointment.  I am hoping that they can help with the PT/OT that y'all are taking about.  Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Many areas have stores for Teachers and I am sure u can find things there, or look at the link I sent u and create ur own....they do not have to be bought items to work......

U may even find some at ur local craft store like a Michaels or ACMoore....

I know they have tracing paper and items like that .....so do look there if u do not have a teachers store near u.
Am glad your school is helping let me know if u have questions with any of this. Anything that makes a child hold fingers in a tripod grasp will help with writing..best of luck