CHIARI MALFORMATION
COMMUNITY
Second Opinion & 3 days to Surgery!
by MAC2917, Oct 05, 2012
Aaah. That is so weird to say! I can't say if I am terrified, or exhilarated by thought of being symptom free. Its such an overwhelming time of my life. The weather today is absolutely beautiful today, which is contributing to my good mood. Its a clear skyed and breezy 73 degrees. I am thankful for this day because I am so ruled by the weather. The waning mood is probably contributing to my good mood as well :)

So I saw Dr. Batzdorf at UCLA yesterday. He is a Chiari specialist I have read about a bit, and also the only one within 500 miles. I called him to get a second opinion. But since my first meeting with my neurosurgeon was only 4 weeks ago and my surgery was scheduled pretty soon after that I could only see him as a reassurance that I was on the right path. And that he did. After a thorough investigation of my symptoms and check up and review of my MRI's he said that he definitely reccommended sugery in my case. Scary and reassuring. He said the stay on the same path Im on and continue with my surgery on Tuesday. He said that he usually does the Craniectomy, Laminectomy and then a bipolar shrinking of the cerebellar tonsels before putting on the dura patch. My neurosurgeon, Dr. Golshani doesn't do the shrinking. But Dr. Batzdorf said it only quickens the lessening of symptoms because your tonsels slowly ascend up into the correct place eventually but this electric treatment quickens the process.
What are your guys' experiences with this treatment? Who has had this done?

I am still pretty happy with the procedure that I am going to have done though as I am confident with my NS and feel I am doing the right thing.

After our long day at the Doctors I got to go to Barnes and Noble and buy some books for my convalescence. I feel that I couldn't have picked a better time of year to be bed ridden. I got Ray Bradbury's The October Country, Stephen Kings Skeleton Crew (Short Stories), and H.P. Lovecrafts Great Tales of Horror. These are so fitting for the month of October! Such a beautiful time with the changing of the seasons and the increase of ancestral energies. Looking forward to recovering from this minor set back in my life. The learning experience to connect more with my body and the people I love has been invaluable.

I hope you are all having a good day as well. I know this experience can have so many ups and downs. I will send good energy out there to all who are one their downs. It will get better :) Imagine life without restrictions! I cannot wait.
Member Comments (21)
by Viva001, Oct 05, 2012
Good to hear that you are reassured.  Im glad that you are going into this with the best attitude!

(I questioned having my tonsils cauterized, but my NS said that I didn't need them, so.... I decided not to micromanage his job, lol).
by selmaSBlank, Oct 05, 2012

I echo Viv's sentiments  I am glad u got a 2nd opinion....and that u r more relaxed about the decision.....

I pray u get the outcome u imagine : )

BTW- I had my tonsils cauterized.....for me it was necessary to get them out of the way as my odontoid was not totally retroflexed but was causing an issue itself so they needed as much room as possible.
by Viva001, Oct 05, 2012
After i had my tonsils snipped, i couldnt spel or cpitalize anymore.
:)

This made me think of how they used to yank out the other tonsils, for "prevention".  I used to get horrible sore throats afterwards anyway; I can still remember hallucinating from a high fever when I was 8.

I didn't want this unnecessary procedure for my children, and doctors in the next generation did not recommend it routinely.

So, go figure, then BOTH children had to have tonsillectomies, as adults.  My DD's dr said her tonsils were "giant pus-filled sacks". Sorry, gross.
by selmaSBlank, Oct 05, 2012

I had a tonsillectomy and my adenoids removed when I was seven...for breathing with my mouth....I still remember that hospital stay.....no fun....and I was a mouth breather until I had my PFD...I can breath better thru my nose since that...not sure y....but I can, I do not feel like I am smothering ne more.

My cerebral tonsils were not snipped....just shocked in order to shrink.....
by Sexybare, Oct 05, 2012
Good to hear the positive attitude. I had one tonsil electro cauterized, dr said when he opened me up it was necesary. We did not discuss it beforehand but they don't really know til they get in there, so I didn't have a choice. I haven't noticed any additional issues due to it. Make sure you have someone update us on your post op status if able. Hugs,Dana
by MAC2917, Oct 05, 2012
Ummmm... I don't mean a tonsillectomy I was talking about the cerebellar tonsils for Chiari Malformations. But I did have my tonsils out when I was 14!
by selmaSBlank, Oct 05, 2012

No I know, I was responding to someone else that mentioned it on this thread...

If u re read the above posts u will see I had my cerebral tonsils cauterized....and it was necessary as I had overcrowding....

I was replying to Viv about a comment she made, sorry if u were confused.
by Viva001, Oct 05, 2012
Sorry I derailed your thread.
(If you didn't know, they used to remove throat tonsils from most children in the 1950s).

My cerebellar tonsils were cauterized, not snipped, but I don't know by how much.  Your NS may find it necessary to do that, but it's not that big a deal, in the big picture.
by tink_0427, Oct 06, 2012
Gla to hear u r in good spirits! U sound like me as far as ur attitude as surgery approaches! I was beyond ready as it sounds like u r too. I too got books from B&N but I went with the 2 newest John Grishams (my fave author) and a few Janet Evanovich (not sure if I spelt that right?) books. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't read post-op because my eyes have felt the effect of my surgery. BOOOOOO!!! I love to read and was so looking forward to curling up with a good book. Oh well, C'est la vie! I hope I get to snuggle and read ur books..u'll have to let me know how the S.King one is, I've been eye balling it myself...