Chiari Malformation Community
Shaking teen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Shaking teen

Hi I am sixteen and was just diagnosed with chiari after receiving a concussion. After lifting a chair, I started shaking all throughout my body and it became hard to walk. It's almost three days since that happened and my hands are still shaking. This has happened once before but went away that day. Im not sure as to what this means and I can't tell if it is anxiety or chiari progression. Advice would be appreciated greatly!

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Do u know if ur chiari is acquired or congenital?.....If it is acquired, and it is the result of the concussion, straining to lift the chair was too much with the obstruction.

If u have congenital chiari it could be the concussion caused additional swelling to add to the obstruction that was already there and lifting the chair made it worse.

Ur parents need to help u locate a true chiari specialist to see what all is going on...see if in fact u have an obstruction, a syrinx, tethered cord, disk issues, ICP, sleep apnea, ehlers-danlos....all to understand y u r having the symptoms u r having and the best course of action and treatment.

We do have a list of the members drs here in the health pages(bottom of this page) it is not meant as a referral, but a means to get u started researching drts.

"selma"
I am Hannah's mother and her diagnosis was just made 3weeks ago. We are still absorbing information and trying to learn how to recognize progression.  We are very taken back by the seriousness of her illness.  Hannah is an extremely bright, creative, athletic and sweet young lady, who did not have any of these symptoms prior to her April 2011 concussion.  We live in Ohio and are trying to find the best Chiari expert in our area. We will travel if necessary. Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.  

Sincerely. Lorin

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Many times since most have chiari since birth, we do not recognize many of the symptoms until an accident or injury causes them to increase and get more severe.We grow accustomed to them, and adjust to them....and consider how we feel "normal" when in fact it is not.

We do have a list of the members Drs, the list is not meant as a referral, but a means for u to start ur research of Drs.

Some Drs will only treat adults, some only children, so u do have to ask that when u call as well as if they work with in ur ins.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Neurological%20Disorders/DOCTORS-LIST-FOR-CHIARI-SYRINGOMYELIA/show/1062?cid=186

"selma"
Hi Lorin,

I sent you a message with some information that might be helpful to you. Go to your inbox in the upper right corner and you should see it!

Jen