Shaving
So this is a random question - I am having my surgery tomorrow and I got to wondering when do exactly do they shave the back of the head? In pre-op? In the OR? Will or won't I be awake?

Just realized yesterday I didn't know!
Hi, good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery for you. I was shaved pre op. I was awake. Then during my shunt placement I was asleep for that one. Try to remain calm if you can.
I was asleep when they shaved the back of my head.  They did leave a section of hair at the top unshaved that covered my incision while it was healing.  It was a bad hairdo but saved on stares.
I was in op room sleeping when they shaved my head. And it was as little as they needed. I have long hair anf was worried. But they only shaved the minimal for mine, thank god. Good luck, stay calm. And rest rest test. Post when u feel up to let us know how u are. Thoughts and prayers will ne with you.
Best of luck to you tomorrow! I will be praying for you.  I just saw your info & see that you're having the surgery at Albany Med- I live in Albany, and we're about the same age. We will have to get in touch when you are feeling better.  But please contact me if there is anything I can do or if you need a helping hand or support. If your family has any questions about what to expect they can always contact me, too. Its a big deal for the people that are close to us, too, and they don't always know what to expect.
My surgery was done when I lived out of state, but they shaved a strip about 2 inches wide from the bump on the middle of the back of my skull down to the hairline at the base of my neck.  My longer hair on top covered it so that was good.  They shaved it after they put me under.  Just a suggestion- if you have long hair make sure you bring some bobby pins or barrettes and pony tail scrunchies with you to the hospital.  You can have someone keep your hair up/away from the incision while you are recovering.  Plus you won't be able to wash your hair for quite awhile, so for me it was helpful to keep it up.
God bless!  You've got a lot of people who will be thinking of you & praying for you.-Amy
Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to visualize the day tomorrow and see myself coming through it with flying colors, even though at the same time I am a nervous wreck. It is the same thing when I fly, always anxious the day before!

Hearing from others who have gone through it is such a big help. :)
Good luck...i am not sure if u talked about it with ur ns...but some dont even shave like in my case...i think anyhow they try to keep it minimal and u can tell thrm if u prefer to be awake or not...my thoughts are with.u
Good Luck with your surgery adventure. You will be in my family thoughts and prayers through it all. Heres to a speedy and healthy recovery :)

I made my 3 yr. old DD a purple bow with CHIARI on it so she can show her support for as she calls you all...mommy's headyache friends.

Thinking of adding them to my inventory. ( I have a bow buisness)