Chiari Malformation Community
Shunt Failure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Shunt Failure?

Ok I have a VP shunt. I have had this for almost 2 years now and it is my first one. I have been taking a new medicine for about a month now for my headaches called Gabapentin. It has helped alot but the last couple of days I have had this horrible pain that goes through the entire right half of my brain. My shunt is on the right side. This is my first shunt so I don't really know how to know if it is failing and I absolutely cannot go to my doctor. I am in college on scholarship I can't even miss class if I am dying literally.The last time I had to take off I lost my scholarship and just barely got it back now I am on probation with them because of it. How can I tell if my shunt is failing with out going to the doctor?
Hi...not having a shunt, but hearing what others have said...it sounds like it is possible u have an issue with ur shunt.

Sometimes it is a blockage, other times it could be the setting is off....too slow or too fast a drain.

Maybe u can set up an appointment during the next holiday depending on how u r feeling.

"selma"
The next break I have is thanksgiving but that is only four days and if I have to have some kind of surgery to fix it four days will not be long enough because I have to go out of town and my doctor likes to keep me for at least a week because my medication messes with my immune system and I always get an infection. I am trying to put it off until next year before spring starts but If there is something wrong I don't know if I should wait that long? This is still all new to me. I can deal with the pain until then but I don't want to cause serious damage by waiting. The Gabapentin helps to dull the pain a little. Can  waiting cause damage?
I have no idea about damage, but u may get worse to the point u r in the hospital longer than if u go now.......it may be that ur shunt needs an adjustment.....and without contacting ur dr u might not know...at least call and ask what he thinks and if he can refer u to someone close to where u r to help determine what is going on.

"selma"