Chiari Malformation Community
Shunt Failure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Shunt Failure?

Ok I have a VP shunt. I have had this for almost 2 years now and it is my first one. I have been taking a new medicine for about a month now for my headaches called Gabapentin. It has helped alot but the last couple of days I have had this horrible pain that goes through the entire right half of my brain. My shunt is on the right side. This is my first shunt so I don't really know how to know if it is failing and I absolutely cannot go to my doctor. I am in college on scholarship I can't even miss class if I am dying literally.The last time I had to take off I lost my scholarship and just barely got it back now I am on probation with them because of it. How can I tell if my shunt is failing with out going to the doctor?
Hi...not having a shunt, but hearing what others have said...it sounds like it is possible u have an issue with ur shunt.

Sometimes it is a blockage, other times it could be the setting is off....too slow or too fast a drain.

Maybe u can set up an appointment during the next holiday depending on how u r feeling.

"selma"
The next break I have is thanksgiving but that is only four days and if I have to have some kind of surgery to fix it four days will not be long enough because I have to go out of town and my doctor likes to keep me for at least a week because my medication messes with my immune system and I always get an infection. I am trying to put it off until next year before spring starts but If there is something wrong I don't know if I should wait that long? This is still all new to me. I can deal with the pain until then but I don't want to cause serious damage by waiting. The Gabapentin helps to dull the pain a little. Can  waiting cause damage?
I have no idea about damage, but u may get worse to the point u r in the hospital longer than if u go now.......it may be that ur shunt needs an adjustment.....and without contacting ur dr u might not know...at least call and ask what he thinks and if he can refer u to someone close to where u r to help determine what is going on.

"selma"
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22