Chiari Malformation Community
Shunt Replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Shunt Replacement

I had surgery in 2001 & a shunt was put in. My question is at some point does the shunt need to be replaced? I have been having pressure headaches, back & shoulder pain, side pain & very tired. It has been going on for a few months. I lost my partner in December & I kept thinking these symptoms were from grieving & being stressed & upset all the time, But I am beginning to freak out because I think it is not. I have not been to the doctor. Unfortunately I have No insurance. I am self employed and scared. My partner was so supportive & always positive, and she is gone. I could not have made it thru the last surgery without her. Any information or help would be so appreciated!
Thank You
Tags: shunt

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is diff enuff to deal with this condition but to deal with a loss as well, I am so sorry.

It is possible that u have a blockage or the shunt is draining to fast or slow and just needs an adjustment....untill u go to the Dr there is no way to know.

May I ask where u r?...there r some diff ways u may be able to get medical ins.....

Know u r not alone, and u will find support and friends here : )

"selma"
Avatar n tn
Hi There:
I live in Idaho and I am self employed. I had insurance until a year ago. It got to the point where I could not afford it, and the deductible was $7,000. I have looked around & it is so expensive or I was denied coverage. But, I will keep looking.

Thank you for the support

Look into PICP.GOV

It is not that bad and they do not have a waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

I know ins is diff to afford, but not having it is just as difficult.....

"selma"
This is the song that never ends
12 hrs ago by The_beat_goes_on
skrowe is ...looking for answers. Comment
Jun 23
soccero uploaded new photos
Jun 09