Chiari Malformation Community
Shunt Replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Shunt Replacement

I had surgery in 2001 & a shunt was put in. My question is at some point does the shunt need to be replaced? I have been having pressure headaches, back & shoulder pain, side pain & very tired. It has been going on for a few months. I lost my partner in December & I kept thinking these symptoms were from grieving & being stressed & upset all the time, But I am beginning to freak out because I think it is not. I have not been to the doctor. Unfortunately I have No insurance. I am self employed and scared. My partner was so supportive & always positive, and she is gone. I could not have made it thru the last surgery without her. Any information or help would be so appreciated!
Thank You
Tags: shunt

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is diff enuff to deal with this condition but to deal with a loss as well, I am so sorry.

It is possible that u have a blockage or the shunt is draining to fast or slow and just needs an adjustment....untill u go to the Dr there is no way to know.

May I ask where u r?...there r some diff ways u may be able to get medical ins.....

Know u r not alone, and u will find support and friends here : )

"selma"
Avatar n tn
Hi There:
I live in Idaho and I am self employed. I had insurance until a year ago. It got to the point where I could not afford it, and the deductible was $7,000. I have looked around & it is so expensive or I was denied coverage. But, I will keep looking.

Thank you for the support

Look into PICP.GOV

It is not that bad and they do not have a waiting period for pre-existing conditions.

I know ins is diff to afford, but not having it is just as difficult.....

"selma"
zomblvr uploaded new photos
May 22
zomblvr joined this community
Welcome them!
May 22
Ball123 commented on The more intense you ...
May 22