Side Effects of surgery
I had nerve compression surgery for chari malformation I am 30 and have stopped my period and have horrible hot flashes my gyn says I might be in pre menopause. Can the surgery cause this
Hello and welcome!  Did you have nerve compression surgery or posterior fossa decompression?  Did your doctor look at your pituatary gland?  Mine is pretty smashed in there.  I do think that 30 is really young to be going through pre menopause.  What age was your mother? grandmother?  Seems that has alot to do with it.  Sorry I dont have any other answers for you.  I know that we seem to have issues with pregnancy, miscarriages, and I had endometriosis and went thru surgical menopause very young.  So I guess it is possible.  I am sure Selma will have more info for you.  She seems to always have the answers.  

Again, welcome!  I hope you find the answers and support here that you need.  

Pam

I have heard of quite a few members who have faced the same thing- pre-menopause. I am thinking it could be more due to having Chiari than the actual surgery. Like Pam said, with all the pressure in your head your pituitary gland could be damaged and that is what controls your cycles. It releases certain hormones to signal the body to begin your cycle and if that isn't happening, then it could be the cause. I would recommend going to see an Endocrinologist and getting blood work done to test the functioning of your pituitary gland. I did that after my surgery too, though for different reasons. It also wouldn't hurt to get your Adrenal gland hormones checked as well b/c they can also influence things.

Good luck!
Carolyn

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

U did not say how long since u had surgery, or how long since u missed a period....but, surgery is a trauma for the body and u may regain them, so do not be too quick to think u may be in pre mature ovarian failure.....or something along those lines....but, I was in my early 30's when I started having issues along these lines...no one could figure out what was wrong with me, and my chiari was not dx'd until I was 48...but I did got thru menopause early...done by 36....so....get testing for thyroid issues pituitary etc.....hormone labs will only show , yes there is an imbalance, not y it is happening.

Good luck
"selma"