Sinus meds for Chiari
Hi there,  I have Chiari but suffer minimally.  I do, however, have constant ear fullness and sinus problems (which I have read can be related) and wonder how others have found how sinus medications work for them.  Has anyone ever found that the sinus meds relieve the ear pressure.  Does anyone know what the ear pressure is caused from.  My NS has told me that ear fullness is not a symptom of Chiari ??? I do have a lot of muscle related tension due to all this and my massage therapist has said that muscle tension can definitely cause ear fullness and ringing.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks, Hal

Hi Lynn...it's been a while since u posted.....yes ear fullness as well as tinnitus  can be from Chiari  as well as some pain meds taken to help with pains...Many NSAIDS can cause this as well as many RX meds so do look at side effects from ne meds u may be on.

I had many sinus issues b4 I had surgery, and it got soooo much better post op...now I take a antihistamine and it helps me, but I am post op now.

The fullness can be a build up of CSF pressure too.....

I do not know who ur NS is, but u will want to make sure they r a Chiari specialist as not all Drs know how Chiari can and does affect us.
Hello, I have had sinus or allergies before surgery.  I take a Clariton D everyday and I do fine.  Far as the ear pressure I don't have but do have excess wax build up at times.  
Hi Selma,

Yes, I have been trying to live my life, and convincing myself that this condition is not affecting me, like my NS's have said.  I have realized that many of the things I was feeling were due to stress and anxiety.  After being on Cymbalta for 5 months, I have very few headaches, and the ones I do have, seem muscle related.  

I just wanted to comment on this because I cannot believe what my mind and body were capable of causing, after finding out about this condition I have had my whole life, that never really affected me at all!

I realize that I am one of the lucky ones, and know also that things could change, but for now, I need to focus on being happy and living life.  

I hope this comment has helped someone else!!

Take care

Hi...I know it is possible to have Chiari and not require surgery, and I am glad u know that it may change too...and I pray it does not for u.

I hope u continue to keep us updated on how u r doing : )
My "first" symptom was the feeling that someone had their finger in my left ear along with associated hearing loss. I say "first" as it was the one that started my hunt for a diagnosis. At first they said atypical Ménière's disease. Atypical because it is usually bilateral. They did an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma. They missed the chiari. They did however note fluid in my left mastoid. About 4 months later the vertigo started. Not just a little spin now and then but "on a tilt-a-whirl" vertigo. Again, they attributed it to the Ménière's disease. Anyhow, the symptoms kept coming until I thought I was crazy. It took a year to get the right diagnosis. I am post decompression and still have some hearing loss but it's better. I have constant tinnitus but the feeling of fluid in my ear is improved. Hope that helps. :)