Chiari Malformation Community
Sleep Apnea and Chiari Malformation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Sleep Apnea and Chiari Malformation

I have recently been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea.  I was wondering if anyone else had both Chiari Malformation and sleep apnea.  I am also on oxygen at night because my oxygen was dropping really low, into the 70s, at night while asleep.  Just wondering.  Thanks

LG
Hi...I believe we did a thread on sleep apnea...I know Shane was going to get tested...I am not sure if that was completed as of yet.

I was sent to a sleep clinic as well, but the dr never did the testing...only gave me meds and wanted me to go to a behaviorist (sp)

I can do another poll if it is warrented....

How has being on the oxygen been as far as sleeping...are u sleeping better....is it diff to get used to?

I guess these would be good questions for the poll....

"selma"
I took the second sleep test last night.

I do have sleep apnea, but the mask they had me wear was very uncomfortable and even after taking a sleeping pill, I was awake in 3 hours and couldn't go back to sleep.

I'm waiting to hear from the doctors as to what comes next.
I am glad to hear u finished the testing, but sorry that the device they used did not help u sleep better.

Good luck
"selma"
I have severe sleep apnea and have to wear the mask as well as have oxygen at night.  I completely understand about the mask... it is AWFUL.  You kind of get used to it, but it is really uncomfortable at first.  They say it takes a month to get used to it and for it to work.  I was falling asleep sitting up, and when I did sleep I would snore so loudly I woke myself up, wake up gasping for air, and I was so tired all the time.  Try a bunch of different masks, thats what I had to do.  I like the micro/ultra because it is so small.  Good luck with everything.  There is a surgery they can do, but if you have bad sleep apnea like I do its not recommended.  I would love to hear what your doctor says, if you don't mind.  I would really appreciate it.  I hope it all works out for you.  

Best,

LG  
I have both Sleep Apnea and Chiari Malformation.  I started a post a few months back I believe.  I sounds like they are relarted but I am still waiting on the doctors to get me more factual information.  I have been doing my own research but I am no doctor nor would I ever claim to be.  So I need to get the real for the professionals who I have to trust.

As for the masks, i have tried a few different type, and i recently switched to a full face mask that covers my mouth and nose.  The mask is much more comfortable that any others i have tried.  My wife likes it too because it hides alot of the noise associated with the machine.
That's the weird part. As far as I know (and my wife agrees) I don't have problems when I'm asleep. I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep, but once I'm asleep, I sleep fairly well.

I've always been a light-sleeper, but I don't snore badly, I don't jerk myself awake during the night, or any of the other symptoms most people talk about with Sleep Apnea.

I suppose I'm somewhat more tired during the day than I used to be, but nothing more than I would assume someone with a sedentary lifestyle, like I've developed since my decompression surgery, has. I don't nod off during the day or feel particularly tired or anything like that.
I have also been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP with the Mask.
I see this post is a little old, but I wanted to say yes, I have both. And Brain stem  compression (caused by the pressure of the herniated tonsils) causes Sleep Apnea. Brain stem symptoms are serious when it comes to CM, your brain stem controls your heart too, usually with CM and sleep apnea also are history of SVT's or other arrhythmias. Good luck and hope you're doing well.
I also have Sleep Apnea from what I have heard it is something that is very common with Chiari people.  I also found out there are 2 kinds so be sure that you know what kind you have.  One the air way is blocked and the other the brain forgets how to breath.  There are different treatments of them.  The second is the worse.  so don't put treatment off if you have it.  I have had my cpap machine for about 4 months now.  I went from sleeping and hour here and and hour there may be getting 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night.  Right from the start of using my cpap I got better sleep.  I didn't move around as much and starting sleeping longer.  I have worked my self up to about 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night now.  After year of only 2 or 3 broken hours that is great.  My monthly average this month is 5 1/2 hours a night.  
amazing stuff this board can tell you.
I had my decompresion operation in June of 2009. I went for my sleep study Friday night and today was told that I also have Sleep Apnea. They told me that the machine could also help with my headaches, I hope so cause even after my operation my headaches are coming back just as bad as before the operation.
I pray the C-pap works for u too!...Many times it is the lack of sleep  that causes the HA's....and lack  of oxygen.....

Shane has had positive results with his machine.....

Please keep us posted Tina : )
"selma"
My son is having the same problem...Had the Decompression surgery, but headaches have returned....whatever happened to you?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

This is an older thread and the member may not be active on the site, u may want to send them a PM this will generate a e-mail so she knows someone is trying to contact her.

U can also post in the forum here by starting a new thread and asking current members for help.