Chiari Malformation Community
Sleep Apnea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Sleep Apnea

The past few nights I've been waking up suddenly gasping for breath, this has happened in the past but only a few times.  It's not like the dream where you are falling and you jump awake..this is not being able to breathe.  I see that this is also a symptom of Chiari.  

Anyone else have this?  How long has it happened and how long does it last?

Thanks,
Karen
Hi...yes, sleep apnea and other sleep disturbances are a chiari related issue.

Do u have a chiari specialist?...if not u should try to get one soon, this is a symptom that needs immediate attention.Once this starts it is a sign ur symptoms are progressing.

If u can not get in to a chiari dr soon, call ur PCP to get u into a sleep clinic for sleep apnea testing.

"selma"
I had that horribly b4 surgery...I couldn't sleep most nights. Thankfully, after surgery it has got much better..I get it here and there but nothing like b4. I would almost describe it as breath holding..when I wake up I feel like I have to get the breath out first b4 I can get some in. Definitely mention this to your Dr...

Try finding a good neck position while you are sleeping (I can always feel the pressure working up in my head in a bad position). Some ppl actually put something under their mattress to raise the end w/o putting pressure on your neck. I really felt the sleeping position was related to how bad the apnea got.

For me, I would go through several nights of this and then it would relent a little. A really important thing is just to tell yourself that you will wake up and breathe...so try and not panic b/c that would even make things worse for me...

Carolyn
My experience is a lot like that of Carolyn's. Before I had surgery I would also occasionally wake up gasping for breath. And according to my wife I snored quite a bit as well. I haven't snored or had any apnea issues since I've been decompressed.

Have you been diagnosed with a CM or seen a nuero specializing in Chiari yet? Like Selma said this isn't something you want to wait on.
Hi, I havent had surgery for chiari but I was dx with sleep apnea 2yrs ago and was prescribed a c-pap machine. My cardiologist told me that sleep apnea may contribute to my heart beating faster during the day. I would also wake up gasping for air..it was horrible. Once I felt like was was gona faint and never wake up, very scary. Later on i found out that it is one of the many symptoms of chiari.
Yes, I have sleep apnea and am going to take a sleep study soon.