Chiari Malformation Community
Soft spot issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Soft spot issues

Has anyone ever had an issue with the soft spot created by the decompression surgery?

I am able to press on the soft spot and feel the pressure change in my head. Very strange. I had decompression surgery back in '09 and have been careful since then to avoid injury to that area... until a few days ago when when I accidentally hit my soft spot on the back of a chair I was sitting in and ended up in the ER with a concussion.

Seriously considering investigating the titanium plate some NS use. Would the plate provide protection for the brain? Has anyone had issues with the titanium plate?

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I did not have the titanium plate, and there r many here that have it...I wonder how large the soft spot u have....?

There r pros and cons for the plate....and we r all  diff as to if it can be used....

Do u have continued symptoms since this concussion?

I don't have the answer but I've often wondered about this, too.  The thought of not having the skull & part of the vertabrae there to protect everything kind of grosses me out...the only thing between my brain and the outside world is a patch of GoreTex! (and skin of course). LOL
It all just seems very vulnerable....
I hope you get some responses because it is an interesting topic.
I haven't had any continued symptoms from the concussion, but I have to think that is because I didn't really hit it very hard. I feel pretty confident that had I hit my head with more force, there would have been a lot more damage. It's only been four years since my decompression and this is the first time I've had a major issue with it, but at 21 years old one begins to question whether they can be that careful for the rest of their life. My herniation was 24mm, so they had to remove not only part of C1 but C2&C3 as well! So my soft spot is, from my point of view, rather large.

I've started doing research on the plate, but hopefully I can get some feedback (good or bad) from people who already have it. I'm not sure if either of you have found this website or not, but there is a video that shows the titanium plate. Pretty interesting.

neurosurgery-web.com/  <--under the "Brain-Neural Hydronamics-Chiari Malformation" tab.
I am in the exact same situation as you.. I suffer horribly from these soft spot h.a.'s.  2.5 years post op.  Muscle adhering to the dura and causes pain, pressure sensations, ear symptoms, h.a's, eye pain et al. Soooo frustrated.

Anyway, it has been recommened by Dr. B (in Pittsburg) to get the titanium mesh plate to protect that area and give the muscles something solid to attach to. When I look up I can feel my muscles pushing on the patch and then I get a killer h.a.  I am sooo tired of living like this. I am worse off now then before the surgery with more and different symptoms.

I was scheduled for the surgery last year but put it off because I wanted to see if things would improve but they have not.

I am going back to see Dr. B. in a couple of weeks to talk about finally doing this. The video is of Dr. B doing the plate  - looks like something that would be helpful for our issue.
I had the titanium plate in for my first surgery. It felt fine to me. It was a place to reattach the muscles to and it kept my head from sinking it. I also could lay on it without a problem. But I was one of the (approximated) 27% of people who's screws came loose. I had all the hardware taken out about 10 months ago. I have a soft spot that hurts only when it is touched. I think Selma is right in that each person needs to decide if it is right based on their own issues. I kind of wish it was still there because of the soft spot, but it really doesn't bother me enough. I just don't lay directly on it anymore.
If you don't mind sharing, which neurosurgeon did you use for your titanium plate surgeon? Would you recommend them?