Chiari Malformation Community
Some ?'s about my syrinx

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Some ?'s about my syrinx

Hi forum followers,
I suffered syringomelia as a result of a car accident 5 years ago.
It is located @ T3 and is 4mm long.
The ongoing symptons are chronic pain throughout my shoulders->spine->pelvis/buttocks-> thighs/calves->tingling feet.
Also, headaches, vagueness, low energy and concerntration.
My neurosurgeon believes that it will be more dangerous to operate and has opted not to.
My conditions are deteriorating, even though the syrinx hasn't altered form.
My first question (others to follow) is:
Within the spinal cord is a tube that carries nutrients and waste to and from the brain. With the presence of the syrinx and the cyst that is blocking the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), could this be the reason for the vagueness, concerntration, energy, etc?
And what does one do to improve their condition?
Regards,
Brett (Australia)

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Yes, it is the obstruction to CSF flow that is causing some of ur issues, the rest may be from the compression of the nerves in the area of the syrinx.

Surgery for a syrinx alone, meaning u do not also have Chiari are generally not done unless the syrinx is of a certain size as many are far too small for a stent or shunt to help drain the syrinx.

I am not sure if the NS u have seen is one that specializes in these conditions, and I am not sure if there is much at this point that can be done....

For those with Chiari and syringomyelia the surgery for the Chiari many times also helps reduce the syrinx.....so if u do not have both, it is harder to find treatment....

To help improve ur condition u may want to look into meds that may help with inflammation and there is a list of foods that are anti inflammatory and may help with the symptoms u have as a result of the restricted flow...
Hi SelmaS,
Thanks for the reply. As much as I/we are living with these conditions, I know surgery is too dangerous.
I am on painkillers at the moment, but no direct medication to target the syrinx. Are there any know medications/treatments for the syrinx?
Also, you speak of a list of foods for anti-inflammatory. Where would I obtain such information?
Thanks again
Brett

Hi Brett the list of anti inflammatory foods is located in the Health Pages...if u r accessing this site using a phone ap u will not see all the features it has to offer....here is a link to the Health Pages-http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186

Do u know if u have low lying tonsils as well as a result of the accident?