Specialists in Asia? Chiari getting worse.
Hi. I was diagnosed with Chiari almost 4 years ago, but, at the time, hadn't had any major life alternating symptoms...the most annoying ones probably being my horrible balance, headaches, and dizziness/"seeing stars" when moving my head too quickly.
Everything was fine, so I decided to take a teaching job in China and moved here August of last year. Lately, I've been experiencing some worrisome changes in my symptoms. My toes and bottom of my feet are becoming numb several times in a day. I have also been experiencing more back, neck and shoulder pain. I really noticed it after yoga two nights ago..the pain lasted for a day, off and on. My throat has gotten worse as well. I remember last year singing with the kids (I teach grade one) during class, but now I find it extremely difficult because my throat will get this annoying "tickle" or scratchy feeling and I will have to drink a lot of water.
So, I want to get another MRI to see if my herniation or the syprinx (that they claimed was on my spine, but not a big worry at that moment) has gotten bigger. I've only had that one MRI about 3 and a half years ago..and I know, I should be getting them regularly. My question is: does anyone know any Chiari Specialists anywhere in Asia? I'd be willing to go almost anywhere, as flights are rather cheap from here. I'm afraid to just go to a regular neurologist here in Guangzhou, China...I'm not sure how reliable they will be. I really hope someone can help me out. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

We do not have a list started yet for Asia, but I did a search and did find this one Dr....I would suggest u research him as I know nothing about him...just that in doing a chiari dr search this name does come up. I also do not know how far u have to go to get to him...but it is a starting place as he may know other Drs closer to u such as a NL for more testing to see if a flight might be necessary.

Liu Yong WJ
General Hospital of Chinese People's Armed Police Forces
Beijing, China
Mr.. Graham Flint
Consultant Neurosurgeon
Birmingham Neuroscience Centre
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TH
Phone: +4401216978254

Good Luck....and do post an update : )
Thank you so much for the reply, selmaS! I really appreciate it, as I've been looking around for a specialist in Asia for awhile now and could not come up with anything. So, this is really helpful. I am in Guangzhou, which is south of china (very close to Hong Kong), but I travelled to Beijing this summer and flight prices were not that expensive..but I guess it would depend on when you fly. I will, however, try my best to get in touch with this doctor. He might beable to suggest some Neurologists specializing in Chiari, closing to where I live. If travelling to Beijing was a last resort, I would not hesitate.

Thank you so much again. You have no idea how much this helps!

U r very welcome...I only hope that the Dr listed is really a Chiari dr....as I know nothing about him....please keep me posted on what u find out and how u r doing.

All the best to u <3
I emailed this hospital (General Hospital of Chinese People's Armed Police Forces) to ask if this doctor was still practicing, but I haven't received a reply. It's been over a week now, so I may have to try calling..although it will probably cost me some money.

Meanwhile, I've been having pain on the left side of my back, which often travels to my ribs and sometimes my left arm. Specifically, on my back, the pain (which I can only descibe as a stabbing-ache) is between my spine and shoulder blade. Sometimes it feels "tight" there as well. Is this perhaps the syprinx? What do you usually take/do for this sort of pain? Thanks.

Hi....I hope u hear back from them soon...sometimes the e-mail is the last to get replies....

The pain could very well be from ur syrinx....and it could also be from what u r doing...not sure if u stopped lifting things that weight more then a few lbs as that can add to where u and when u have pains.

See our activities to avoid list in the Health Pages -http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/list?cid=186