Spinal tap
I had a spinal tap for suspicion of Meningitis in 2002. Had a spinal leak that resulted in 2 blood patches approx 2 weeks apart. Never had headaches before tap. Now I have headaches an average of 2 to 3 times a week. MRI done in Jan 09 showed 5mm chiari malformation. My MD never told me about this. I have an appointment with a neurologist in 4 weeks. Is there anything else that I need to do at this point? I was just in the ER for severe head pain and dehydration. Could there be any signifigance with my past tap and having this happen and having the headaches?
Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Chiari is a congenital condition...and can remain mostly asymptomatic for most of a chiarians life......or they can have symptoms that cycle so it doesn't seem like a condition that needs attention.

Having a spinal tap could have made urs symptomatic in that the fluid could have been drawn too fast and that can pull the tonsils down.

Most NS and NL may say 5 mm is incidential and can't cause the symptoms u r having.....

U will need to locate a dr that is a chiari specialist...please see our list here on the forum.

We also have Health Pages that explain chiari and several other related conditions like syringomyelia, tethered cord, and Ehlers-Danlos.
Plus there is a page for activities to avoid to lessen the possibility of the activity resulting in the progression of the condition.

So, u most likely had chiari since birth...but the LP may have triggered some progression.

If u need help finding the Health pages or threads I mentioned...let me know.

"selma"
"selma"
what are the chances that it could have progressed in the recent months? My headaches and neck "strain" are more frequent. I looked on the thread for providers and didnt really see any in the Washington DC area, unless I totally skipped over them. This site is very helpful.... Thanks for your help
Everyone is different as to how and when our chiari progresses....like I may have mentioned a fall or MVA or even a bumpy car ride ca trigger ur chiari.

Yeah, I don't think there r too many in the DC area.....but, I did see a few say good things about a chiari dr in Baltimore, MD.......I'll look for it and PM the info to u.

"selma"
i have a specialist i am going to see for the first time on the 22nd.  he is at johns hopkins in baltimore.  he is actually much closer to you than to me!  if you want his number, let me know.
elizabeth
That would be great..thanks
dr. jon weingart
pavilion 1   suite 460
lutherville, md.  21093
410 583 2888

this is johns hopkins at green spring station.  

good luck, colleen!  maybe i'll see you there!
I got an appointment with a neurosurgeon at Georgetown on 9/30..I  may call Dr Weingart for a second opinion..
georgetown, de. or georgetown, md?